Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheap way to heat your shop...  (Read 6378 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Cheap way to heat your shop...
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:04:23 pm »
Wasn't sure where to put this but thought it might fit here.  Some of us have shops we build in during the winter.  I had a friend of mine show me this link, its a pretty good idea I think.  He is in the process of building one, and I intend to heat my new shop with one as well.  Thought I would share the idea since some of us have waste oil around too. 

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

David

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cheap way to heat your shop...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:55:42 pm »
Way back in the day, I worked part time for a guy with a combination used auto sales/junk yard. He had a 55gal barrel filled half way with sand. There was a pipe going from the top of the barrel and out the side of the building for the chimney. There was another container of sorts that we put the old oil in with a line going into the barrel and dripped onto the sand. I believe the line ran in a manner that the fire heated the oil before it got to the end. Once the thing got going it would really get hot. There was a little valve in the line to adjust the oil flow.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:22:25 pm »
Don't know about your location, but in many it is illegal to burn "WASTE MOTOR OIL" due to the lead contained in some waste motor oils.
With that said, IF I had usable oil it sure would be nice to have one. 

Had been thinking about getting a corn burning stove.  Corn is still cheaper to burn than oil here on our farm.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:09 am »
We don't have any constraints on the burning of waste oil here.  That could change though.

David

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:04:21 am »
We had a service station with one like Jerrymac described, except they used ashes about 4 inches deep instead of sand. It worked very well for years until someone put gas instead of oil in it.

They installed electric heat in the new building.  :shock:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »
We had a service station with one like Jerrymac described, except they used ashes about 4 inches deep instead of sand. It worked very well for years until someone put gas instead of oil in it.

That wasn't good...unfortunately you can't fix stupid people. 

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:15:27 am »

That wasn't good...unfortunately you can't fix stupid people. 

I don't know... I'm guessing that one got fixed.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.