Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot enough for you?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Hot enough for you?
« on: January 05, 2007, 08:24:37 am »
So -- we're beginning what they say is going to be the hottest year on record.  Any of the more experienced beekeeper here have any comments on how the colonies might make it through this "winter," and what we might do to help them along?  The hives are starting to feel lighter already . . .

-- Kris

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Hot enough for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:41:20 am »

Hives like warm. They are not penguins.

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:03:41 am »
This weather is really crasy. Tomorrow its gonna be 60s. Do you think its ok to have a pick inside the hives?
Mat
mat

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 11:14:45 am »
In my opinion, 60 degrees F is pretty warm, that is almost what I would call t-shirt weather.  The bees fly at many degrees below this and many foragers would be out of the hive checking things out.  My thoughts.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:14 am »
i am freezing my back side off.  yesterday it snowed like crazy.  by next week we are supposed to take a 20 to 25 degree dive.  odd are, after that, we'll have an ice storm.  that's the pattern.........so, where exactly is that global warming??   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:26:05 am »
Kathy, I doubt if the global warming exists up in my neck of this woods.  January is always our cold month here.  If it is gonna get cold, certainly it comes now.  But, come February 14 (my 26 wedding anniversary), it is really nice. 

I have actually now seen the grass in my yard starting to grow like crazy.  I know that by March 15 (my husband's birthday), that I have to mow our grass, it is long and lush by that time.  I can't wait to start mowing the grass.  I love the smell of it, reminds me of whan I used to sit by my Gramma's cow, Daisy, and breath her incredible cow breath when she was eating the grass from the field.  I wish I had a cow.  My grandson wishes we had a cow.  Maybe we will get a cow.  A Jersey.  The big beautiful brown Jersey cow eyes.  Reminds me of our old Candy girl cow, the one with cowpox!!!!  Ooops, in the wrong forum?  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ian davison

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:28:03 am »
Hi all

In The Uk the Autunm was very prolonged and mild and the bees have been very active. Our Winter has only amounted to a week of frost and a week of fog. It has been wet but on some good sunny days its been very warm. (10-12c) average. When doing my Oxalic treatment the other day I hefted all the hives and already suspecting some would be short got in some bakers Fondant. A number where very light.

I find candy is a good and safe form of emergency feed that the bees can take advantage of and a very cheap form of insurance. I do find it very handy with overwintering 5 frame nucs, with young queens layng late into the Autunm some nucs have as many bees as larger hives and quite easily run short of food. I find that if the candy is placed on the hive before they run short that the bees tend to use it first and if the weather turns cold they then have plenty of normal stores around the cluster and little need to collect water.

Regards Ian

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:39:20 pm »
Ian, how do you make the candy?
mat

Offline ian davison

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 02:25:42 pm »
Hi Mat

I don't normaly make it but buy in Bakers Fondant it saves all the mess and is only a little more expensive than sugar. It's also about half the price that our main beekeeping  suppliers sell thier fondant for. If you want me to find the mix I can post it.

Regards Ian

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:07:58 pm »
I guess with the weather the way it is you have to roll with the punch's
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon