Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are you building  (Read 12146 times)

Offline dave1958

• New Bee
Re: What are you building
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 01:05:50 am »
I thought I was doing good till I read these posts. I was planing on going to 10 hives this year, but after much sawing, gluing, nailing and visiting home depot I wasnt getting the job done. I build 10 hive stands, ten telescoping lids, 8 hive bodies, and 3 bottom boards. I gave up and  ordered precut boxes, bottom boards, and inner covers( I struggled with these). I was painting, nailing and gluing and making progress, till the ice hit and its been 30 and will be in evenings for the next 10 days. I know it will April/ May when my bees are here, but its a struggle to get things done with job, family and normal honey-do issues. How do you do these things? are you buying and assembling, or starting everything from scratch?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:22 am »
It is a real struggle my friend.  I'm always 2 steps behind the bees  :(

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:38 am »
I thought I was doing good till I read these posts. I was planing on going to 10 hives this year, but after much sawing, gluing, nailing and visiting home depot I wasnt getting the job done. I build 10 hive stands, ten telescoping lids, 8 hive bodies, and 3 bottom boards. I gave up and  ordered precut boxes, bottom boards, and inner covers( I struggled with these). I was painting, nailing and gluing and making progress, till the ice hit and its been 30 and will be in evenings for the next 10 days. I know it will April/ May when my bees are here, but its a struggle to get things done with job, family and normal honey-do issues. How do you do these things? are you buying and assembling, or starting everything from scratch?

Plan to buy everything you can afford and put together yourself. It's a never ending process unless you limit yourself to what you have already.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:54 pm »
I just got my box building jig working the way I wanted.  I will need to post some pictures (like all my ideas it was somebody else’s) LOL. I figure I can knock out another half dozen boxes and then be back to running rough boards through the plainer.  Not certain what direction I am going from here, made most of my shallow stock into an apple press, now I have more deeps than supers and no nucs (I build just as large as the stock will allow and trim to size.

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »
At the price of 1X pine I cant afford to build my own boxes anymore and frames are just to cheap.      I do build everything else

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 12:38:16 am »
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/Jig2.jpg
I used quick grip clamps rather than the dowels shown on the other forum.  I plain my own wood so my thickness is not always as uniform (or as thin) as the store bought ones.  I usually use two clamps for my press but my fingers are a little tight so I use 3 and sometimes hit them with a hammer.  I shoot two or three screws into each corner from the top, flip it and do it again.  If I had to do it over again I would have extended the uprights and put a bar clamp across the top rather than all the 2x8’s across the bottom.
Is it just me, I  am never happy with my final product.  Wood has too many knots finger spacing off, wine whine wine.....
Poor decisions make the best stories.

anything