Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead bee removal  (Read 2253 times)

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
Dead bee removal
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:53:39 am »
We had a nice day and I checked on my bees. I found one weak hive dead. How do I remove the dead bees from cells, or do I toss the frames? Thanks.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Dead bee removal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:13 pm »
If they are head first in the cells I know of 3 ways.  Tweezers. ( a pain in the butt).   Allowing the bees to dry out then blow across the comb with low pressure air.  Or wash them out with garden hose.  ( or a combination
Of these methods.   Also try shaking them out before anything else.   Especially after using garden hose method.

Or cut out the affected comb and leave the rest if all else fails. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »
-
Often I put the frame to hang out and small birds clean the combs in winter
Language barrier NOT included

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »
Oh. I like that finski!!    We have little wrens here that love when I put out brood comb from cut outs. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »
Wow you guys are quick! I raise chickens. I guess they will have a feast later. Many thanks.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »
Ha!  I've thrown dead bees and drones in front of the chickens, and they just look at me like, "Whatchu think I am?"
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:51 pm »
I'll go with Finski's idea. In fact I will try his method myself too. X:X

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
I just thump the frame to dislodge what can..then place the frame back in a strong hive to let the bees clean'em out. Drawn comb is too valuable to me to let chickens scratch to pieces.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:09 pm »
Ditto here K-9

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »
I always let the bees clean up the frames.  They can clean and polish better than we can.