Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Telescoping covers - no ventilation  (Read 4941 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Telescoping covers - no ventilation
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »
Telescoping tops, provide no top ventilation, is that correct?
I have SBB's but man, the top is moist. I am thinking of switching
my telescoping covers to migratory covers and opening a crack for better vent.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: Telescoping covers - no ventilation
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
I drilled a hole in all my telescoping covers to match the notch in the inner cover.  If you don't want the ventilation hole, just flip it around so the side without the hole is in front.
-Mike

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:45:33 pm »
Yes that's usually correct, however, If you have an inner cover with a vent notch then you will have passive ventilation for the hive.

It sounds like you have condensation on the top, inside of the telescoping cover, Yes?  a top vent will help fix that problem, again, an Inner cover with a notch will give you the ventilation you need.  a SBB also helps, as you have done.

Also,
*LINE the top of the T-Cover with a thin insulation.  With no cold surface condensation will not occur.
*a slight tilt forward to the hive will cause any condensation to run down the front wall of the box instead of through the cluster.
*You can make a shim with a few holes drilled into it and place it between the inner cover & the T-cover.  

I have had this problem and fixed it.  I have written about it (HERE) including some photos.

Plus here is a link for Sage advice given to me when I asked the same question:(Beemaster Forum Link)
Make Mead!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »
I don't have too many telescoping tops that fit with a perfect snug all the way around.   I think there is a fair amount of air that gets through but not like an open top. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »
If you have an inner cover,set a small stick or stone between the inner and outer cover at one end to prop it a bit. It should give adequate ventilation. As said about the inner cover,if it has a notch,slide the outer cover away from the notch.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:37:29 am »

This is what I use Vented Inner Cover

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Echium

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:11 pm »
Use a screened inner cover like this one: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10-frame-Ventilated-Inner-Cover-Moving-Screen/productinfo/373/
They are the BEST.  I had a lot of moisture problems before, even with the migratory cover.  This is something you can use year round and it is an excellent product I would never be without one.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:25:04 am »

This is what I use Vented Inner Cover

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

That's the one i based my design off of when I made it.  Very good unit

Make Mead!

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:19 am »
at your location I can think of two good possibilities if the moisture is on the inside of the inner cover.

1) unlike most places in the US you are still likely to be getting some flow.  the moisture would simply be the bees reducing the water from the nectar they are collecting.  the same kind of moisture splash at the top of the stack would appear if you were feeding 1 to 1.

2) the pacific range fog may be adding a bit more moisture to the atmosphere.

I would tend to suspect number 1 is the most likely cause....  if so this is all quite normal and nothing really need to be done.  I would likely think about adding some ventilation at the top of the stack.   
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »
I am glad to read this post because I had the same question. I use all honey run ventilated covers on my hives, so I do not have any condensation or moisture problems anymore in the winter, but I do have one little hive - 2 mediums - that did not make enough honey for themselves this season and so I placed a newspaper on the top bars with bakers sugar dumped on top.

Because of this I was afraid to use the ventilated cover as I was worried about the bees getting robbed out with that notch in the side.

I just used an inner cover - with the notch - and the telescoping cover and pushed the telescoping cover forward towards the notch hoping this would give enough ventilation.

In reading these posts, it has been mentioned that this would be enough to eliminate any moisture.

I hope this works as some have said.

Annette

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 11:51:29 am »
I have breathing inner cover. It meant that moisture goes via 10 mm wood board +7 cm foam plastic matress.
So I need a ventilation between inner cover and outer cover.
I have a metal sheet as rain roof. I have  a  10 mm  piece of boad in the middle of the roof between the frame and the sheet. It is necessary. Otherwise the condensation rains back into insulations .

In winter I have finger size hole in front wall.

It is needless to let respiration air to go under water roof.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »
That sounds good Finski

anything