Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question to anyone that has used the Jenter system  (Read 3288 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
question to anyone that has used the Jenter system
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:45:48 pm »
The directions state that you have to press the cell pugs into a sheet of wax before each use.  I did this but when I pulled them out of the back of the box most if not all came loose and stayed in the box.  My question is do you skip the wax and will the queen lay on the end of the plastic plug

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: question to anyone that has used the Jenter system
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:37:08 pm »
Put the jenter in the hive several days before you plan to cage the queen in it.  The bees will clean and polish the cells for her.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »
>My question is do you skip the wax and will the queen lay on the end of the plastic plug

Yes.  I put the Jenter box with the plugs in four days at least before I confine the queen and then I let her lay in the plug.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Greywulff

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:37:07 pm »
Hi,

Used this system well the nicot but its the same thing, for the first time this year. Just brought out 18 queen cells of 20. I found that they needed more than the 2 days I had left the box in to be cleaned as she didn't lay out the box. She laid into only about 35 cells. So I would go more days the next time and I'll be trying the 4 days thanks Micheal. Didn't go with the wax dipping and it worked. she laid fine in the bottom of the cells. Its amazing how well it works.

Have the cells in a 5 frame nuc with 3 frames of foundation and 2 frames of brood, pollen, honey with bees and I'm feeding with 1-1 syrup.

Hope they will be fine, will they? lol

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:01:32 pm »
Is the box jam packed with bees?  From what I understand, that is the key.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 12:58:30 pm »
Just a word of precaution.  If there is a flow on,  and you leave the laying box in too long before confining the queen,  they will start storing nectar in them.  I have actually had them start doing on within 24hr in rare cases.   I also have noticed, the more the laying box is used, the less time it takes for her to start laying in it.  So although the new cell cups have to be cleaned,  I believe the smell/newness of the laying box is also a factor.

Is the box jam packed with bees?  From what I understand, that is the key.

It is key that the cell builder be jammed with bees, not necessarily the mother donor hive.  Though the more bees the quicker the cells will be clean.  And filled with nectar too I guess.  Perhaps a catch 22.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison