Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ack! Did I mess up my first equipment purchase?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
    • St. Joseph's Vanguard and Our Lady's Train
Ack! Did I mess up my first equipment purchase?
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:43:57 pm »
I just made my first bee equipment order from Brushy Mountain in anticipation of my package of bees arriving April 7th (from B. Weaver apiaries).

I have all medium supers and intended to cut starter strips from the foundation I ordered.  I wanted to go with small cell, but I must have gotten confused and ended up ordering regular (large) size foundation:  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/products.asp?pcode=406  instead of small cell foundation:  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/products.asp?pcode=284

Question: Do I need to change my order to cancel the regular foundation and order instead the small cell?  (Remember I am cutting starter strips from the foundation anyway--will bees make small/natural cell size even from starter strips of regular size?)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:02:25 am by Devbee »

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Ack! Did I mess up my first equipmen purchase?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:21:16 pm »
If you are using them for starter strips I wouldn't worry.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
Re: Ack! Did I mess up my first equipment purchase?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:13 am »
They will be just fine for starter strips, I take a pizza cutter and count down about five rows of cells and cut off a strip. I usually get about  10 or so from one sheet of deep foundation. Make sure you get it secured good in the frame, you may want to get a wax tube and secure them with beeswax.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:40:17 am »
Unless you are getting small cell bees, it is not a problem.  I assume you are attempting to regress large cell bees to natural cell cell? If so,  they will want to draw large cell to start with anyway.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 01:08:08 pm »
It won't make a lot of difference. Just make the starter strips short (1/2" or so will do) and they will figure it out.  They tend to make the top row bigger anyway.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
    • St. Joseph's Vanguard and Our Lady's Train
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 05:17:16 pm »
Thanks guys--my fears are allayed.

I am not regressing but rather this is my first order of bees ever, and they are coming in a package.  It looks to me like B. Weaver is an "organic" approach kind of apiary, but I don't know whether my bees will be big ones or small ones.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 06:13:58 pm »
>I don't know whether my bees will be big ones or small ones.

Big ones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything