Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with honey  (Read 8950 times)

Offline JWW

• New Bee
chilli
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 06:41:32 pm »
I use honey in my chilli, it gives that sweet and hot taste conflict, of course when I make chilli I usually clean out the fridge and any leftovers are fair game to go into the chilli. Honey is probably the only stable, consistant ingrediant!
John
"Everybody has a story, take a moment to listen"

Offline Larooo

• New Bee
What to do with honey
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 03:13:22 pm »
I am currently making 3, six gallon batches of mead, This is appx four gallons of Honey and I still had plenty to go around. This will yield about 90 bottles of wine. I flavored each batch different. Nutmeg for the first batch, Blackberry for the second and clove & cinnimon for the final batch. We'll see how it comes out in about three more months

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
What to do with honey
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 11:55:24 am »
Larooo'
I am also a mead maker and have been for about 5 years. I have 5gal. batch of a grape pyment- a 5 gal. batch of pomagranite- and a 5 gal batch of black cherry going. also I make cysers which is honey and apple cider fermented- very good.

Offline Larooo

• New Bee
What to do with honey
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 09:07:49 pm »
jdesq
Pomagranite, how interesting! let me know how that comes out. Let me ask you some advice, I have a mead that won't drop below 1.080, I have not stableized it yet. I have heard that you should not untill it drops to .095 or so. Any thoughts?

Offline mountain mike

• New Bee
peanut butter and honey
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 10:21:37 pm »
i like peanut butter and honey on flap jacks,,,hits like lead... leads to bed.

mm.
mlb

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
What to do with honey
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 11:21:51 am »
Larooo'
It sounds like your fermentation has stopped. Maybe you should try to warm it up a bit. I like to ferment at  65 to 68 degrees but know of people who do it at 72 degrees. If nothing else repitch some yeast.

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
What to do with honey
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2006, 01:38:40 am »
Cornbread- in the batter and on top. On any bread or muffins- Yummy!!!
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline taw

• New Bee
Re: What to do with honey
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 02:33:43 pm »
Quote from: Wandering Buddhist
Customers/friends often ask what they can do with honey.  To say "bake" is too general.  After telling them to put honey in tea, on toast, or as a substitute for sugar, I run out of ideas.  I am sure there are scores more things that can be/ are done with honey.  What are some of your ideas for what to do with honey?

My wife (the cook in the partnership) has replaced sugar with honey in just about every recipe you can think of (using differing portions for the most part of course). My favorite: blueberry pie. YUM! With my own blueberries too. :) :) :)

We grill continuously, we make a large variety of sauces and rubs using honey... and whatever else is handy. I have eggs in the morning usually... with some honey. My coffee? Honey! Etc. etc. etc. I don't eat bread generally, but that is the obvious use - creamed honey is particularly nice for that.

You eat it! :)

Of course there are all the medical uses that folks have been talking about - especially cut's and burns. I use it in place of neosporine.

Oh yeah... you can feed your bees with it. ;)

Alternative use: bribing government officials? Haven't tried that. Maybe I will. I do have to stay away from the red heads. My at home brunette would disapprove. :)
<Insert witty signature here>