Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out as a precursor to a cutout  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
Trap out as a precursor to a cutout
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here had performed a trapout - as a precursor to a cutout?  I suppose it's no different than a regular trapout that's then robbed, then removing the comb afterwards... 

I ask - because I've got a cutout job of a 2-year old hive that's in a support column for a porch.  It's about an hour away from me - but I'll be able to take a look at it this coming weekend when we go camping - as it's on the way to our campgrounds.  I won't be able to perform the cutout this weekend - but might be able to squeeze in a quick inspection or even start a trapout until I can get there and finish up the cutout later in June.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Trap out as a precursor to a cutout
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:08 pm »
I wouldn't suggest starting a trap-out if you will not be able to monitor it on a regular basis.   There are too many things that can go awry on a trap out that need to be addressed rather quickly.  (ie.  new entrance, clogged funnel, etc)

Just do it as a cut-out.  If you are worried about the population being big, just use a bee vac and reduce the amount of bees before you start cutting out the comb.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison