Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bow Season is Coming  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Bow Season is Coming
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »
My sons and I are moving the stands this year to some trails we found over the spring and summer.  We are headed to the bow shop to tune everything up and are looking forward to spending some quality time in a tree.  My youngest has already declared that he is getting the first deer.  We have decided to buy some 3d targets this year in addition to our block with straw bails.  This should make practice a lot more fun. 
Brian

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Bow Season is Coming
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
Yea, I got to get mine down and limber my arms up. :)doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:27 am »
Not only will the 3D targets be more fun but will make any archer a better shot. Move them around and practice at unknown distances, this will really tighten you up for the season.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:06:40 am »
Not only will the 3D targets be more fun but will make any archer a better shot. Move them around and practice at unknown distances, this will really tighten you up for the season.

...JP

Totally!  I loved my life sized deer target with the replacable foam centers.  Was nice to put it behind trees or at weird angles or on hills.  Here in the pacific northwest cascades, the terrain is thick and rugged.  I've never seen deer on flat ground perfectly broadsided, unless they jumped out in front of my semi.  lol.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:48:52 pm »
Sorry about that. I am using a bale of wheat straw. First time I have pulled the string on my bow in three years. A few times today and I am getting an 8 inch group. I think I can tighten that up a little by next Saturday. if not, if I can stay in that zone I think I'm good to go.
I won't be taking any shots over 35 yds.
Also fired 3 or 4 of my rifles today. Trying out my hand loads. :roll:doak

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:36 pm »
We are all debating pin placement at my house.   I say 20-35-50.  what do you all set?  The boys do not have the power for this, so I am saying 20,30, 40 for them. 
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:06:33 am »
We are all debating pin placement at my house.   I say 20-35-50.  what do you all set?  The boys do not have the power for this, so I am saying 20,30, 40 for them. 

For someone ample enough I like 10 yard increments, but I've been using a pendulum site for the last 5 yrs with a tritium pin.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:26 am »
All three of my kills last year were between 20 and 30 yards, and I have my pins set at 20, 30, and 40.  If your boys are pulling a lighter draw weight, I don't think I would set a far pin at 50 yards (tops would be 40).   Better to let them be patient and get a better shot in my opinion.

...Tim

Offline Gena

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:41:10 am »
10 yd increments - easier to remember under pressure interpolate when target isn't exact; 20, 30, & 40 yards.
Gena

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:31:10 pm »
Well my son took his first deer and got it with a bow.  He shot a small doe with a perfect vitals shot.  She ran only 20 yards.  We cleaned it, and he skinned it himself and wants to tan the hide.  Just got it back from the processor and will have some tomorrow for dinner. It was a great experience for him, and for me. Now we are prowling the woods for a big one!
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:17 pm »
Congratulations!

...JP

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 11:06:12 pm »
Well my son took his first deer and got it with a bow.  He shot a small doe with a perfect vitals shot.  She ran only 20 yards.  We cleaned it, and he skinned it himself and wants to tan the hide.  Just got it back from the processor and will have some tomorrow for dinner. It was a great experience for him, and for me. Now we are prowling the woods for a big one!

Half the fun of bagging the game is the cut and wrap afterward.  Some of my best memories of hunting come from that.  I can't do much hunting do to my disabilities anymore but I still do all my own butchering, cutting, and wrapping of all the farm animals we kill.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 11:24:26 pm »
Skinning ourselves was all we could muster.  Time is of the essence in our family, and between work and school, butchering a deer and all of the various slicing and grinding is something we cannot do.  We do handle all of the various birds we shoot, but a deer is a bit more time and effort. The feast is still a good one.
Brian

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »
Congratulations, nice that you was there.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac