Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wiring foundationless frames  (Read 7161 times)

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Re: Wiring foundationless frames
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 01:46:29 am »
Wiring is a hassle - it takes time and patience, and I'd love to be able to omit that extra job if it were feasible - but on balance I think it's a job worth doing, for it only needs to be done once in the lifetime of a frame ... that is, providing that you don't put that frame in a solar wax melter.
What does putting them into a solar wax melter do to the wires?

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 03:11:11 am »
Good to see the frame without attachment to the sides and bottom because that is what I have on the 3 frames in my brood box and there appears to be no urgency from the girls to do anything about it.  At least I know that I can support the comb with pins until they get around to doing the job.

Thanks for the video links and ideas

Mick

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 05:05:49 am »
Wiring is a hassle - it takes time and patience, and I'd love to be able to omit that extra job if it were feasible - but on balance I think it's a job worth doing, for it only needs to be done once in the lifetime of a frame ... that is, providing that you don't put that frame in a solar wax melter.
What does putting them into a solar wax melter do to the wires?

As the sun is frequently noticeable by it's absence here in the UK, I personally use steam rather than solar energy to recover wax - but I'm told by those who have tried this, that monofilament fishing line will stretch with the heat generated inside a solar wax melter.

Using wire - as opposed to fishing line - would be one way around this problem, but you'll need to use those little brass inserts to prevent the wire from cutting into the wood.  One reason that I use 50-60 lb bs monofilament fishing line is because it's larger diameter won't cut into the wood - the other reason being that the bees can't get their mandibles around that diameter in order to chew it out.   Apparently, much lighter gauge fishing line (20-30 lbs) can be chewed - but I learned from the experiences of others to avoid the lighter stuff.

The above video is very informative - the only comment I'd add with regard to 'crush and strain' when using wired foundationless, is that it's easy enough to slide a knife along the fishing line to release the comb in sections.  A little more care is needed than without wires, that's all.

SlickMick - the guy in the video advised against using pins, as they localise the stress in a small area at the edge.  I guess as a temporary fix, you could always run a loop of fishing line right around the outside of the frame, to give the comb some temporary support ?

LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 09:53:08 am »
      Never had much success with pins or fishing lines. To help support Foundationless comb in Hoffman frames. Never tried sticks for support like the first video I put up.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:56:53 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 09:26:39 am »
Yes,LJ, I did notice that. I intend now to wire the frames prior to using them. Checking on the three I have in the brood chamber today the girls have started to attach the comb to the sidebars from the top down. So I guess it will take them some time to complete seeing as they have been working on since October last year.

Mick

anything