Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quick question on powdered sugar  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
Quick question on powdered sugar
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
I have read several uses for powdered sugar...   sugar dusting hives for varroa counts, sugar shake for the same thing and making fondant for winter feeding.  I know you can use white sugar for fondant as well but the question is...  does it matter that all the powdered sugar I"m finding contains corn starch?  If so, what is a good source for powdered sugar w/o cornstarch?

Poppi

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Quick question on powdered sugar
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum Poppi!   :cheer:

I only use powered sugar for top bar dusting (varroa count/control), I personally do not do the sugar shake unless there is a lot of trash on the sticky board and I do not trust my count. I have found the powered sugar with out corn starch, in regular stores but it is not the generic (so you get to pay more). As far as fondant, I use regular sugar (comes in 25 lb bags) because it does not cost as much.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:22 pm »
Mike,

I did a 3 day mite count using the sticky board under the SBB.   Only counted 12, so 4 a day is not enough to get real concerned about...  but I thought I would try the powdered sugar and see what I came up with.   I can make the powdered sugar myself, just thought it would be less hassle just to buy it for the little I would use it.   Thanks for the welcome, Poppi

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »
Make your own with cane sugar and your wife's food processor....it will not contain any corn starch.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »
It does not matter that the sugar contains corn starch.  The only time the starch becomes a problem is if it is fed to bees during a time that they can't fly out to take a dump.  The starch will build up in their gut and cause dysentery.

Offline ScoobyDoBee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:35 am »
"The wife" might get mad if you use her food processor to make powdered sugar - it scratches the pretty plastic. Blenders do okay but my fave is a coffee grinder. Just about 10 seconds pet batch can whip up enough to cover 2 hives in just a few minutes.

There are many who use powdered sugar with cornstarch. And just as many who won't use powdered sugar with cornstarch. Cornstarch is hard for the bees to digest. I always try to do what is most natural for the bees and I always try not to put any undue stress on them. I personally won't risk the cornstarch. To me, grinding sugar is way too simple a solution to risk the possible "maybes."
- ScoobyDoBee
Get high on life - smoke some bees!

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:09 pm »
Yeah Scooby...  you're right about easy...  I have begun making it in the coffee grinder..   and I see no reason to have cornstarch in the hive when it's so unnecessary...  thanks,  Poppi