Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hivetop feeder for winter ventilation?  (Read 4818 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Hivetop feeder for winter ventilation?
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:05:22 am »
I was wondering about leaving a hivetop feeder on one of my hives this winter(without syrup). I was thinking the opening in the center would allow any condensation out of the brood boxes, and if it drips, it would drip into the syrup tray. I would take the screen out and put dry sugar into the tray. That would help absorb any moisture, and give the bees food if they break cluster on warmer days. This is my strong, hot hive. What are some thoughts on this idea?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: Hivetop feeder for winter ventilation?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:18 am »
That's an interesting idea.  I'm not sure what the results would be. 

Since heat rises any open area above the cluster will sap heat (and moisture) from the bees.  Yet, anyone with a inner cover & telescoping cover is already doing that to some extent.  My inner cover is modified and provides a space of  1-3/4" beneath the T-cover; which can be filled with sugar if need be.  Your HTF probably has more open space than that.  But, if this is a strong colony I doubt it will cause much them trouble. 

It should definitely pull the moisture away.  Do you have a top entrance or vent?  That would help to shed excess moisture.  If the bees have been good they will have waxed the inside of the T-cover, otherwise you may see some minor green & black mold directly above the HTF hole.

Hey, didn't you just get snow the other day?  Cleveland Winters...wet & cold  :(
Make Mead!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:16:07 am »
Yes, we got snow, but it melted the next day. Heavy frost every morning. Five day forcast is sunny and 60 to 66 degrees! :) Basically, I think winter sucks! Should have moved to NC when I had the chance! That hive does have a 1" entrance in the upper box. The bees propolised most of the regular lower entrance, and don't even use it. Underside of the cover is propolised.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:46:56 am »
Yep! Winters up there suck!  That's why I moved to Virginia.

I wintered 2 hives last year.  One was strong (good population, good health) the other weak (not as good population, some health problems).  Both had the same open space above inner cover.  The strong one did fine and the weak one about died. 

Funny, but now that you've posed this question I'm thinking of reducing the amount of space above the inner cover.  When I gave them sugar last year they took very little of it, and it was a terrible winter here.  So I believe I'll favor heat placement over whether they'll need emergency sugar.  Either way they'll have enough ventilation for moisture control. 

I'd like to see what others have to say...
Make Mead!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »
If I understand;

To get to the sugar, the bee would have to climb up the feeder entrance, then down into the syrup tray.

I'd say it would be a long cold trip for a hungry bee.

Of course, what do I know ?

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »
The sugar would be there primarily for moisture absorbsion (for lack of something better), but there if the bees choose to get it. They should have enough stores, though, not to need it. And Bee-bop, as far as "what you know"; it's probably more than me! :-D

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:57:19 pm »
  stuff the feeder with straw--creating a dead air space between top  cover and the bees
 the successful vented top covers that i have seen all do some kind of insulation for winter covers
the straw will help control the temp in the dead air space-which will aid in controlling ---condensation--this is a basic
idea- and practical-RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:45:18 am »
That is a bad idea. Idea is not to loose the heat of the hive via 'chimney'.
Folks talk about condensation because they do not understan the basics.
Upper ventilation hole is important to ventilate moist respiration air out, but it is better to conduct via front wall.

There is no reason to lead moist air up under the rain cover. There will become next condensation problem and it is big one.

Condensation happens on the coldest surface. When it happend on side walls, water runs to the bottom and then out. That is why inner cover should have the best insulation and not holes to lead heat away.

Why to lead water into tray? You ay lead it out and it is the basic aim.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
You might try the mountain camp method. It uses dry sugar and newspaper. No feeder required just an empty super or shim.
Joe S.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:33:04 am »
There is a very good beekeeper out here named Serge Labesque and he does this very thing. He keeps a top feeder on all year round for feeding whenever he wants, and for ventilation. I believe he places some sort of insulation on the top for winter.

I had thought about doing this at times.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:20 am »
What kind of winter you have in California? How much is snow cover normaly?
I cannot see any idea when to use feeding box as "ventilator". 15 kg winterfood produce 10 litre water.  if that water freeses, it brakes the feeder. What idea is to keep over the hive a water container?  never heard that idea.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:41 pm »
What kind of winter you have in California? How much is snow cover normaly?
I cannot see any idea when to use feeding box as "ventilator". 15 kg winterfood produce 10 litre water.  if that water freeses, it brakes the feeder. What idea is to keep over the hive a water container?  never heard that idea.

Very mild winter, mostly

Offline ski

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 07:32:19 pm »
A couple of years ago I checked my hives at the beginning of October and all 6 were very light.  There was nice comb for honey storage but it was all empty.  I added some granulated sugar on newspaper on the top bars and put a hive top feeder on each hive.  I fed them every day I could when the temperature reached 51 degrees.  I would dip out the cold syrup and add warm syrup.  All 6 hives made it through the winter.  I now have 10 hives and still do the granulated sugar and have hive top feeders on 7 out of 10 hives. AS of right now I don't have to feed but I am ready if they get light.  I also put a screened cover over the hive top feeder to help with ventilation.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w45/Beegood_01/feeders002.jpg 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:05 pm »
I like that ventilation screen. Where did you get that??

Offline ski

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 09:42:34 pm »
 annette,
My screen came from some local suppliers but Brushy Mountain sells something similar.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/8-Frame-Ventilated-Inner-Cover-Moving-Screen/productinfo/210/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
OK thanks for that info.