Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many bees you reckon?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
How many bees you reckon?
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:59:31 pm »
Hive # 1

Keep in mind the bees that you can see of this colony are protruding below 2"x12" floor joists and extend back from the outside wall about 6' horizontally.

Hive # 2 ( 8 + years old)

And to think last winter I ordered 3 packages

Up to my arse in bee jobs regards

Don

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
Re: How many bees you reckon?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
Nice! Great thermal pictures. Good luck with the removals.
Keep us posted.

Joe
Joe S.

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:56 pm »
Don, what do you use to take the thermal pictures?

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:17 pm »
It's an older model Fluke Flex Cam Infrared camera that I use for my work as a commercial roofing contractor. I bought it used.

DON'T buy one, a stethoscope, or using the palm of your hand (like JP) to detect heat will show you their location just as well.

And, the cotton pickin thing lies all the time I've found, invarably colonies are 2 to 3 times larger than the camera shows, because the bees don't cluster tight enough to give off heat except right around the brood.

Don

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:46:04 am »
The heat gun and infrared show basically the same thing. The thermal imager gives a vague thermal visual while the heat gun shows temperature differentials.

I have an upcoming job where the hive is in the floor. My heat gun showed temp differentials out to 4' or so. My customer's expensive thermal imager showed a glowing blob that ended right where the temps of my gun dropped off.

Heat guns/imagers only record heat. They will show you a bare minimum of what to expect but in a lot of cases that is the extent of the hive/comb sections unless that void space has a good bit of history/the bees swarmed out and are rebuilding.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com