Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: V. Mite Issue  (Read 24459 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: V. Mite Issue
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2007, 04:29:42 pm »
with a tbh has any one had to treat the hive for mites.or any of the other pests.

I don't know what you mean but top bar hives have same diseases like foundation hives.

Frame bars have developed 150 years ago and diseases have been thousands of years in bees. Bees survive best under human care.

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2007, 08:10:53 pm »
   diseases have been thousands of years in bees. Bees survive best under human care.
 :shock: :? :? :?

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 08:53:36 pm »
Sometimes going off topic is fun. Yes I still have some indicia[/i] of mites and want to be prepared for spring. Like everyone else, I want big, healthy, and productive hives which dont swarm. I know, a lot to ask. What should I treat w/ and when?

KONASDAD; To rid yourself of the in hive pests is very simple. Use a 25% vinegar vapor. Vaporize each colony for 30 saconds. This method can be used anytime that the bee cluster is broken. It can be used while collecting honey, while rearing brood, anytime. I know it works in my area in S C so I know it will work in yours.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 10:42:59 pm »
Sometimes going off topic is fun. Yes I still have some indicia[/i] of mites and want to be prepared for spring. Like everyone else, I want big, healthy, and productive hives which dont swarm. I know, a lot to ask. What should I treat w/ and when?

KONASDAD; To rid yourself of the in hive pests is very simple. Use a 25% vinegar vapor. Vaporize each colony for 30 saconds. This method can be used anytime that the bee cluster is broken. It can be used while collecting honey, while rearing brood, anytime. I know it works in my area in S C so I know it will work in yours.
That honestly sounds too good to be true.  But if it works for you, there surely must be some truth for sure.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 11:21:13 am »

Cindy;  It not only works for me it also works for other beekeepers  that use this method to control varroa and small hive beetle. Yes, it does sound too good to be true, but it does work and very good I may add.  cef

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2007, 11:51:15 am »
How do you vaporize vinegar? And 25% solution? W/ water? Also, not all vinegars are alike. Apple, white, and what acididty content if they differ? Does it kill the mite or is it part of Integrated Pest mangement(IPM) like mineral oil? just a few questions. Thanx!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2007, 12:25:16 pm »
have quite the same questions a KONASDAD. the strongest vinegar i have seen is the one for making pickles, i think it's 9%, and still, even though it's acetic acid...it's acid? are you sure it isn't harmful?. but the main questions are like KONASDAD. how to make 25% vinegar. how to vapourize it. oh, and that 25%, this is the content of acetic acid in the vinegar, was i right?

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2007, 05:30:44 pm »
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:13:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [BEE-L] Illegal use of pesticide in bee hives

Oxalic acid is hurting (weakening) bees and open a gate for
secondary diseases ( for instance - virus).

Apidologie 35 (2004) 453-460
DOI: 10.1051/apido:2004037

Cell death in honeybee (Apis mellifera) larvae treated with oxalic or
formic acid Ales Gregorca, Azra Pogacnika and Ivor D. Bowenb

a Veterinary Faculty of the University of Ljubljana, Gerbiceva 60,
1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

b Cardiff School of Biosciences, Preclinical Building, Cardiff
University, PO Box 911, Cardiff, CF10 3US, UK

Abstract - The effects of oxalic (OA) and formic acids (FA) on
honeybee larvae in colonies were assessed and evaluated. Cell death
was detected by the TUNEL technique for DNA labelling. In 3- and 5-
day-old larvae exposed to OA, cell death was found in 25% of midgut
epithelial cells 5 h after the treatment, using an "In situ cell
death detection kit, AP" (Roche). The level of cell death increased
to 70% by the 21st hour and the morphology of the epithelium remained
unchanged. Fifty hours after the application, cell death was
established in 18% of the epithelial cells of the 3-day-old larvae
and had increased to 82% in the 5-day-old larvae. A "DeadEnd"
apoptosis detection kit (Promega) showed sporadic cell death mainly
in the larval fat body 5 h after treatment. Twenty-one hours after
the OA application cell death was found in 4% of the larval midgut
epithelial cells. Evaporated formic acid induced extensive apoptotic
cell death in the peripheral, cuticular and subcuticular tissues that
preceded the cell death of the entire larval body.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2007, 07:00:55 pm »
 Konasdad;  To vaporize the vinegar I have a machine called (cyclone) It has a heat chamber and a blower. The cyclone comes in both 110 and 220 voltage. When you are at your home yard chances are you can use your house electric power. When out in the field you will need a generator. you pour the vinegar into the heat chamber through its metering funnel. Its heated and then circulated through the bee colony by the blower through a 3 inch flexible hose attached to the hive entrance. the hose is simular to  that of an electric clothes dryer. I buy my vinegar concentrate (100% acetic acid)from the company that manufacures the cyclone this way I know i'm getting quality vinegar.We know that vinegar kills bacteria and that vinegar is used in the food industry as a preservative. To get a 25% mixture, Mix 1 part of vinegar cncentrate to 3 parts water this  mixture will NOT harm the bees or the beekeeper. thanks for inquiring.   charlie 

Offline jillr0

• New Bee
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2007, 09:55:37 am »
i got on a web site called  back yard hive .com they say their bees dont have health issues because tbh makes their bees less stressed so their immunity is much stronger.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2007, 10:41:31 am »
Charlie, is there a website for the cyclone.  I would like to see more information about this device.  Sounds interesting.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
I hope that you do not try on hives all those methods what you get in mind.  They are tens.

In these discussions are mentioned methods which are not under common control researches. Vinegar is a such.
I wonder where all these ideas will  lead us.

Treatments' purpose is to kill mites. There is narrow area between mite and bee killing, and brood killing.

I am going to stay inside area "officially controlled knowledge". That is more than enough for one beekeeper.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2007, 11:03:34 am »
Finsky.  Understood.  I am on quest for knowledge.  That is all.  No implementation of any sort until I form perfected methods.

When I attend the Bee Masters Course at our university I will have the teachings of individuals that know the beekeeping conditions in our southwestern part of British Columbia.  They will teach us the best ways to combat bee diseases, etc., and these will undoubtedly be the least invasive techniques to the health of the honeybee.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2007, 12:53:18 pm »
Konasdad;  To vaporize the vinegar I have a machine called (cyclone) It has a heat chamber and a blower. The cyclone comes in both 110 and 220 voltage. When you are at your home yard chances are you can use your house electric power. When out in the field you will need a generator. you pour the vinegar into the heat chamber through its metering funnel. Its heated and then circulated through the bee colony by the blower through a 3 inch flexible hose attached to the hive entrance. the hose is simular to  that of an electric clothes dryer. I buy my vinegar concentrate (100% acetic acid)from the company that manufacures the cyclone this way I know i'm getting quality vinegar.We know that vinegar kills bacteria and that vinegar is used in the food industry as a preservative. To get a 25% mixture, Mix 1 part of vinegar cncentrate to 3 parts water this  mixture will NOT harm the bees or the beekeeper. thanks for inquiring.   charlie 

will this affect honey that might be in the hive at that time? 

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2007, 03:41:25 pm »

Sean; Circulating a 25% vinegar vapor through a honey bee colony has no negative affect on the bees, brood or honey. That is why this system is so effective. It can be used anytime there is a need. In fact, I know of no other treatment for varroa, small hive beetle or any in hive problems other than vinegar vapor that can be used while brood rearing or collecting of surplus honey. It also does not put the beekeeper in danger.   Charlie

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2007, 05:40:31 pm »
other than a vaporizer, is there any other method of delivery? whether home-made or otherwise I can't seem to get my hands on one.

Thanks for the info

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2007, 05:43:06 pm »
sounds almost too good to be true. so this vapourizing tool, it's the same as for oxalic acid, right?
but..if it's acetic acid, it's acid, it aint vinegar if you look at it from a different perspective.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2007, 09:02:20 pm »

sean; No other method of delivery that i'm aware of. where have you been looking to find one?  Charlie

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2007, 09:24:08 pm »

mici; this vaporizer has nothing to do with oxalic acid, as oxalic acid is not approved for use in honey bee colonies in this country (U.S.A.)  Its only made to vaporize vinegar, nothing else. 
                                                                  Charlie

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2007, 09:43:23 pm »
thanks for replying but it might have nothing to do with it, it's just that..probably the same thing is sold under the name "oxalic acid vapourizer" here in Europe, just wondered if you could confirm this.

ok so to make this gadget at home, one would need....

a one meter hose-7mm a lab veil or test tube and a small burner, maybe a zippo would do the trick i'll add a picture od my idea since i have the time:D

should be done in the night time and i think one would need an assistant :-D

what you guys think?