Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from NJ  (Read 4035 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Greetings from NJ
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:12:40 am »
Hello to all, I am new to Beekeeping, in the last 3 years (On & Off) I have been surfing the web, reading Bee Culture and reading The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro. I was inspired by the BEEMASTER.COM website (Nice job John). Finally picked up some Bee stuff ( hat,veil, smoker and than some) and I am ready to take my first class at Cook College in April for some HANDS-ON.I also hope to find friends and mentors in beekeeping on this site. I do not at this time have any Hives nor a location to keep them ( I live in a heavily urbanized area in Deptford Twp, NJ whereas the Zoning Officer recommended that I do not keep bees in my yard for liability reasons  :( ). I am near farming communities though, so I'll look there. Hopefully this year, I'll have my little girls. :D  See ya. BeeHopper.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
new jersey
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 01:16:57 pm »
Yeah you'll find a spot I live in apartmen in Los Angeles  and I have bees at the Urban Farm community garden by Dodger stadium
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: new jersey
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 02:04:27 pm »
Quote from: Kirk-o
Yeah you'll find a spot I live in apartmen in Los Angeles  and I have bees at the Urban Farm community garden by Dodger stadium
kirk-o

Sounds like a sweet spot :mrgreen:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Greetings from NJ
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 10:47:20 am »
Welcome Beehopper:

Nice to have a neighbor aboard the forum. Thanks also for the kind words about the website.

About the zoning officers "Recommendations for liability sake" it sounds like a suggestion more than an order - I don't know of many communities in our state with laws against beekeeping, so (if it were me) I'd post signs on my property entrances stating CAUTION: LIVE HONEYBEES ON PROPERTY and keep my bees at a safe location from common walkways.

In my case, I have my bees right along the front yard where they fly across the sidewalk where the mail-lady walks to our mailbox. The mail-lady knows the bees are there and more importantly, I spoke in detail to her how honeybees fly and what she should expect as she literally walks through their flight path.

Informed neighbors and constant visitors to your property is the responcibility of the beekeeper. I really can't imagine a situation where honeybees can't be kept on a property in some fashion where they would be a hazzard to common foot traffic.

My property is 100x55 and on it is a 40x20 house, a 38x10 motorhome and a few sheds. All together, that is about 60% or more of my property and still I have several locations I could place the bees if I needed to move them.

So, best of luck, work with your zoning people as necessary, but again I think there has to be a good compromise where you can locate hives.

Thanks for joining the forums - it has been a great week for new members and I think you will have a great year here with this fun and prolific group of beekeepers of all levels.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Greetings from NJ
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 08:57:57 pm »
Thanks for the Welcome. :D