Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally got a broody hen  (Read 6747 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Finally got a broody hen
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:32 am »
One of my ole gals is finally taken to broodiness.  Buff Orpington.  I haven't candled all the eggs under her, but hopefully I can slip some that are good to go.  Its been years since I have had a hen hatch chicks (I was a kid).  Kinda excited.  We'll see what we get, Rooster is a Brown Leghorn. 

David

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Finally got a broody hen
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:31:11 am »
One of my ole gals is finally taken to broodiness.  Buff Orpington.  I haven't candled all the eggs under her, but hopefully I can slip some that are good to go.  Its been years since I have had a hen hatch chicks (I was a kid).  Kinda excited.  We'll see what we get, Rooster is a Brown Leghorn. 

David

Get a silky - they're pretty much broody any time they have eggs to sit.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:04:47 pm »
David, now isn't that just simply wonderful.  I know that the Buff Orpington is my desired breed to have here.  I love the look of them, so big, fluffy and just a cuddly looking bird.  I have downsized my bird stock and only have 10 red layers left now (I had about 40).  I have an inkling to get some Buff Orpington pullets, I have a light Brahma rooster and an AustralorpeXlight Brahman rooster, I would have some nice big beautiful birds if I got them all together.  Or maybe I would get a Buff rooster too, I do love that breed.

David, your gonna have some nice chicks going on there, just you wait, let's hope the fertility is reasonably high, that would be so cool.  You gotta get some pictures when they hatch, lovely.

DavidL.  Silkies, nice birds too.  But they are quite small, I would think that they would not set on many eggs?  Do you know how many?  I would love to know.  Have that most wonderful and awesomely great day, life, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »

DavidL.  Silkies, nice birds too.  But they are quite small, I would think that they would not set on many eggs?  Do you know how many?  I would love to know.  Have that most wonderful and awesomely great day, life, health.  Cindi

I don't know Cindy.  We haven't kept chickens in 10-15 years, and we only ever had one silky - which we bought at a flea market because it looked cool.  Our little flock was mostly wyandots who never went broody at all as I remember it. 

The silky would set the (extra large) wyandot eggs if you put them under her - maybe 5- 6 at a time it seems.  She would slip off in the brush and raise a family if you didn't watch her.  It was always a pleasant surprise though when she would show up with her little brood. 

My inlaws had some kind of tiny red bantams that they just called banies that were really broody too.  Those were the prettiest roosters I ever saw.  It took a lot of eggs to make a meal though.

If the economy doesn't improve soon I might have to rebuild the old hen house.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:12:08 pm »
a few years ago I had about 50 buff orpingtons and have never seen such a broody lot of birds.  I have 12 nest boxes and there was times when 3/4 would be full of fluffed up old hens.  I switch to Isa browns and have never had a broody bird since
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:01:57 pm by danno »

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »
I have heard Silkies are the bomb for brood hens.  The only draw back I have reasoned is heat intolerance. 

Cindi thanks for the inspiration.  I will put pictures up for sure.  We have sorta of a mixed bag in our yard.  Barred Rocks, RIR, Buffs, Americanas, New Hampshires, Red Sexlinks, Black Sexlinks and Brown Leghorns.  Hard telling what will come out of those.  LOL.

David

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »
a few years ago I had about 50 buff orpingtons and have never seen such a brood lot of birds.  I have 12 nest boxes and there was times when 3/4 would be full of fluffed up old hens.  I switch to Isa browns and have never had a broody bird since

Dan, I have had the Isa browns since we began keeping chickens again, narry have I seen them go broody either.  We have a hen that is a little smaller, kind of an ugly greyish, uglyish grey, with a black spot.  She is so ugileeeeee.  Anyways, she is the most wonderful mother.  I love her to pieces for that.  She hatched out three clutches last year.  I can't wait for her to go broody, because I can comfortably set about 8 regular-sized eggs under her, and I am going to give her the Australorpe X Rhode Island Red and the Australope X Buff Orpington eggs to sit on.  Those are the hens, the rooster that bred those gals is an Australorope X Buff Orpington.  Wonder what the chicks will look like, seriously.  Brian Bray was telling me (that is where I got the Australorpe crosses from, eggs incubated from his eggs he gave me) that the comb type is inherited from the rooster.  Out of his hatch I still have the 2 australorpe crosses.  The hen has a regular comb, which meant that the egg came from one of his australorpe hens, bred by a buff orpington, he has buff orpington and light brahma (and crosses between these two) birds and purebreeds too.  The rooster has a regular comb, which means that he was the progeny of an australorpe crossed with a buff orpington.  Hope I got this genetic understanding right, smiling..... (Brian, thoughts, comments if necessary please....).  As far as I can guess, there is no light Brahma crossed with australorpe because neither have a pea comb. 

Having fun.  I really like the Buff Orpington breed, and if they are broody gals, that is good too, smiling.  Oh brother, do I get carried away or what!!!  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, love and live this life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:51 pm »
The Buffs that I had came from Murry McMurry and they were very nice quiet birds.  I had 2 Buff roosters also.  The king was very friendly but the other one alittle smaller was mean.  One day he attacked me from behind and he learned very quickly just where on the pecking order he stood but I really had to watch small children around him.  My hens also hatch out quite a few chicks.  One day I came home from work and they were all dead but 1.  She sat on a nest hidden behind the hen house door being broody and never moved while 2 huskies killed the rest

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »
I had 2 Buff roosters also.  The king was very friendly but the other one alittle smaller was mean.  One day he attacked me from behind and he learned very quickly just where on the pecking order he stood but I really had to watch small children around him.  My hens also hatch out quite a few chicks.  One day I came home from work and they were all dead but 1.  She sat on a nest hidden behind the hen house door being broody and never moved while 2 huskies killed the rest

Oh Dan, do you mean that the one broody hen was not found by the huskies?  The others were killed because they were visible or something.  You need to elaborate a little bit here, I need to know (man, you know me, I seem to need to know everything, tidbits of stories just don't cut it with me....smiling that smile).

I bet that the rooster that was smaller was mean and horrible because it was smaller and probably didn't get enough of the stuff that roosters do, the other one obviously was the host with the most.  That little one must have been rather a cranky lil' thing.  I know.  You have to be brutal sometimes to the critters that think they are tougher and higher on the pecking order.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Remember me speaking of that drab of a dude Muscovy drake, Whoppo.  He was the jerk of all jerks, no matter how many times I tried to show him I WAS THE BOSS of the chickenyard, it never worked.  He eventually had to go cause he was becoming dangerous and I was tired of getting that bite on the back of my calf.  The second he saw me out in the yard, he was a'comin' over to get me, bad boy.  Have a wonderful and most awesome life, this beautiful life we all live, love and share.  Cindi

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:45:07 am »
"Oh Dan, do you mean that the one broody hen was not found by the huskies?  The others were killed because they were visible or something.  You need to elaborate a little bit here, I need to know (man, you know me, I seem to need to know everything"

Yes Cindi    The next day while I was gathering up carcasses, I found her sitting quietly on a few eggs behind a door in the hen house.  I assume her didn't move during the termoil.  I kept her until she died about a year later.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:47:33 am »
I have some silkies and even the fathers will sit on the eggs in a pinch. Silkies are known for being the best parents out of all the chicken breeds.
I keep a pair of silkies to raise any chicks I hatch from the incubator.
Normally if you hatch eggs and throw the new chicks in with hens or roosters they would most likely be killed, I put them in with my mama and papa silkies and they fuss over them and protect them.
I remember doing that one time and another chicken came up to look at the chicks and he put his whole body in between that chicken and the babies to block them.

Cindi, I love the orpingtons too, I have some blue orps and they are gorgeous.
I have the buff too, those little buggers try to grab any jewelry I have on.
Just this morning I had one jump up and bite my ring. They love anything that sparkles.
Orpingtons remind me of curious toddlers.
I notice that whenever I integrate new chickens to the flock the orps are the only ones that do not bother the new ones. They just go about their business.
If you really love the orps, get yourself some blue ones. They are beautiful, the roosters are stunning.
I just sold 2 roosters this past week, I hated to part with them but I have too many roosters right now and I don't want any trouble between any of them.

My blue cochins are really getting beautiful, they are young but are filling out so nicely. They are heavily feathered right down to their feet.
They are a nice gentle docile breed even though they are one of the biggest you can get. They also have the silkiest feathers to touch. I just walk around holding them and patting them, its relaxing and they love the attention.
If you decide to add chickens to your flock I would highly recommend the cochins, blue is my favorite variety, although I have seen some pretty partridge as well.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
Natalie, wah, wah, wah, seriously, I am almost cryin'.  I love to keep chickens so much, the antics in the chickenyards just thrill  me half to death when I watch them and are involved with them.  I sold 6 more red layers yesterday.  I know have 2 roosters, 2 white hens of unknown ancestry, two black australorpe Xes, and 4 red layers.  That is such a far cry from the over 40 I had two weeks ago.  I don't think I can stand it just having such a small number.  Seriously.......when I hear of all the cool little breed things, the wonderful attributes of birds, my feet start to wiggle, my eyes begin to twitch, my lips to get pursed.....I gotta get more, I gotta get more....smiling.

On a serious note.  I don't know when we will move, it may even be months and I can't go through summer with such a low number of birds.  Guess I am just gonna have to order some chicks, smiling.  I have the Rochester hatchery catagloue on line, and I ordered their catalogue for this year.  Gonna bite that bullet and order some babies when I get back from our road trip.  We are heading up to my Daughters' houses for a few days, bringing back the Gransons for spring break (yea, I am so excited I can't sit still).  Haven't seen them since they moved on Christmas day, and that has broken my heart.  We are leaving around 9:00 tomorrow morning, yay!!!  smiling that most wonderful and beautiful smile.

That is so cute about the silkies taking over the incubated chicks, that would certainly take alot of work off the hands of the human being eh?

I don't know if the hatchery offers blue orpingtons, but I will check out, I am definitely going the Buff Orpington road though, they sound very very docile and sweet for sure.  I am getting a 2-1/2 year old Barred Rock from a lady just up the road from us (I think I am anyways) when we get back from our road trip.  I am going to have a separate area for him until I figure out what I am doing.  Beautiful day in this wonderful life we all live,love and share.  Cindi

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:54 pm »
Cindi, so happy to hear you get to visit with your girls and take your grandsons for vacation, I hope you have a blast!

Yeah, you will definitely have to order more chickens. My favorites are the orpingtons, the cochins and speckled sussex for behavior and personality, then you have the rest for production, I have quite a few breeds, black sex links, NH Reds, NH Reds, easter eggers, ameraucanas, silkies, several varieties of wyandottes but the blue laced red are my favorites, barred rocks, black copper marans, cuckoo marans and more that I can't think of off the top of my head right now.

If you want to see some funny chickens, cross a silkie with a cochin (don't ask me how they do it with the size difference) and you get some frizzles, cross a frizzle back to a silkie and get a sizzle that looks like a chenille sweater.
Google them, you laugh just looking at them.
When they come running up to me I burst out laughing, they are all frizzy and hair in their eyes and big feathers on their little feet.
They are banties though, I usually don't keep banties but I got them for my little girl along with the silkies.
They are such sweet little things, most likely because they are crosses between silkies and cochins who are the most docile of any breed of chicken I know of, so you can't go wrong there.
I call them lawn ornaments, they run like wind up toys. Crack me up.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:25:46 pm »
Cindi, I know you will have the greatest time seeing your family.  I think I would die if I wasn't able to "poke" the girls most anytime I want. I'm always calling Amanda @ work & telling her of the cool things I see whilst driving.  Ohhh, that gives me an idea, gonna see if I can get a pic of the "Great Pumpkin" tonight..weird strange & unusual things, yup yup yup! The kids are gonna be so happy to be back at "home" revisiting their old hidey holes, exploring all over. Do they have land there or are they in a development?  I bet they miss you terribly, being such an active part of their lives.  Yes, order chix! I feel bad you are left out of the fun!  I had silkies too a long time ago, think I told of "Mr Pimple" in another post.  The hen was almost like a muscovy hen, very protective & motherly.  Natalie, the super fluffy ones with feathers on the feet would just be a mess here..it is sooo sopping wet in the spring, fall & winter..heck, summer too!  Have a safe trip Cindi, keep us posted if you can with your adventures!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 01:25:15 am »
Both my Daughters are blessed.  They are blessed with the heart of a country gal.  They were born country and are living still in the country.  I don't think either of them would ever be happy to live on anything less than acreage.  Yes, they both have homes on acreage.  My youngest gal (the ones with the Grandsons, smiling) finally moved out of her Sister's place, (they had to stay there until they could find their own house), got their own 4 acres, not too far away from each other.  Oops, my bad.  This thread was not about me, I apologize, DavidP, this was your post, I have this awful habit of hijacking threads, true apologies, I'll say no more here.  Beautiful day in this great life, love our lives.  Cindi