Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mims trap out  (Read 11894 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Mims trap out
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 04:27:46 pm »
What's to keep them from just marching right back into the tree?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 02:09:45 am »
Scott,

I just noticed one pic was missing.

Here is the other one;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=141903862513731&set=pu.122105784493539&type=1&theater

In this pic I think I can see a trap in the wood funnel...not sure however. Otherwise they would return and it would be ineffective.

I also suspect the entrance in the new hive is toward the tree.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:37:47 am by preston39 »
I'm  Preston

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
Thanks Scott, appreciate all the extra work you put into this to bring us the video. I learned a lot.

Don

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:18 am »
Thanks D, it's my pleasure to make these for everyone!

Preston, if you read the caption for that last photo it talks about covering the tunnel to keep the bees from returning to the tree. What's up with that???

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:13 am »
Scott,

For some reason the pic was oversized for the 17" laptop and the comment wasn't viewable... so I didn't see it.

Thanks.

....."The Swarm Harvester is connected to the tree entrance via a wooden corridor. The bees get used to the hive box as part of their extended bee space. Covering the entrance to the corridor keeps bees in the hive box where you can collect and move to another location"......

"Swarm"....?..."Covering the entrance to the corridor"...?...   If a swarm why the rag wrap/tape to the tree? It must be a TO from the tree.
 I am not sure what they are doing.   
I'm  Preston

Offline Nathen

• New Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »
So when you do a trap out in an area where SHB are a problem, do you not let the bees rob out the old hive after it is empty?
-Nathen

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »
Once the hive beetles overrun the colony the bees won't go back in...the honey is slimed and lost pretty quickly.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nathen

• New Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »
So in areas where hive beetles are a problem, a trap out really is not a viable option for removal from a house or other structure.  It's really only good for something like a tree that you don't want to cut down but also don't care about leaving a big slimy, smelly mess behind.
-Nathen