Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mims trap out  (Read 11894 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Mims trap out
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:07 am »

Nice video, even though your hair was a little out of place.  :-D

...JP

Its that Florida humidity that does his hair in. Need to send him some anti-frizz gel.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
Yeah, you should K-9, it did look a lil frizzy in this last video.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 05:30:32 pm »
Good series Scott and Peggy. Definitely useful when I pony up to doing one.  :-D

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »
its nice to see a man on camra with the same barber as myself
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:16:58 am by jaseemtp »
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:08 pm »
Well, there should be at least one more video in this series...could go as far as 2-3 more but it all depends on the SHB. I'll make sure to go in for a good wax job!

The SHB are really thick in the area and the colony numbers are dwindling. It seems to be (once anyway) a strong colony but I'm sure they won't be able to fight much longer.

I've been tied up for a couple of days pulling honey but I think tomorrow we'll finish (whew) so maybe I can play a bit with them again on Thur.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:45 pm »
Scott, was this near my house? Larry

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:35 am »
Scott you and Idee sure know what you are doing( I am sure there are others...just that I have studied the two of you...mostly).

Question;
I notice you used no protection entering an unknown environment...how did you determine before the TO began that no body gear would be ok?

Also, at part 3 time frame ...I am concluding for a moment that most of the ...oh...field workers are out..... leaving the queen caretakers and queen inside. Would that be a good time frame to extend the screen end/exit.....perhaps into a curved design..... directly to the entrance of the new home and allow...hopefully...the queen and her close/er entourage/balance to enter the new home directly? Or, does the development of the queen cells render that as a conflict?

Just exploring.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:05:54 am by preston39 »
I'm  Preston

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:57 am »

....perhaps into a curved design..... directly to the entrance of the new home and allow...hopefully...the queen and her close/er entourage/balance to enter the new home directly? Or, does the development of the queen cells render that as a conflict?

Thats the reason for the addition of the frame of eggs-so they can rear their own queen. Ive only done one, but Iddee states that out of all the ones he has performed, he rarely captures the original queen. Im starting a second soon.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 09:58:46 am »
Larry, this one's by I-95 and 46.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »
Preston when the bees leave the end of the cone they are going to forage, that is what is on their minds, not going into another hive. When they return they will fly back to the opening in the structure, not the end of the cone or the bait hive. After a while of looking to get inside of the original hive they will "smell" the bait hive and finally wonder into it. There is an instinct to cover the brood to keep it warm and upon noticing that they are queenless they will start to draw out a queen cell from a hatched egg. Some of the foragers will revert back to nurse bees to care for the brood.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
And the saga continues :-D I have no idea if this will work but I figured "what the hay...it's worth a shot". Who knows, maybe I'll go down in history :)

Mims trap out part 4_0001.wmv

By the way, this experiment stuff can suck all of the profit right out of a removal...I sure hope ya'll appreciate it!!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 02:44:52 am »
Well part 4 shall be interesting for sure!! Great series!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 03:20:38 am »
Wow Scott that was great. I saved all the parts onto my desktop so I can share them with other beekeepers in my area. A great learning tool if I ever have to get bees out of a tree or structure. I liked how you went through all steps one at a time. Nothing beats watching how it is done.

Thanks so much for sharing this video and I am also curious about the cage. You dreamed a good thing there. :-D

Sincerely
Annette

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 06:30:05 am »
Thanks Scott for trying this, I was going to try it last year but you know how that goes.

i am patiently waiting for the next video.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:56 am »
I've had that dream

I can't wait to see
Scott I pulled a trap-out early
just because of the shb.
The tree (now gone :? )was in my neighbors
yard.It was my learning tool a nice one too.
I could leave a cone up for 3 weeks and get a nice
box of bees or even 2 /3 days and use them in to
beef up a weak hive.
  Last year after a 3/4 weeks, I saw the beetles crawling
allover the inside base of the cone.
I pulled the cone and the colony was gone
It took six months before any bees returned
that time, I left the cone up 3 weeks saw the SHB
pulled the cone the tree bees where gone and
never recovered.
Last week the tree was removed
They used a crane to take the tree and the Boss
told me due to Possible injury he wouldn't cut
open the area where they used to be so I could not
take a look or pictures

Looking forward to see that Queen

Good luck
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 08:57:30 am »
A noble experiment from a guy who snores like the dickens, while sleeping with his lil beanie.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:59 am »
That was hilarious editing Scott..made me snicker  :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 02:48:44 pm »
Well, here's the last one folks. I got there hoping to find a bunch of bees (with queenie of course) only to find an empty cage and the horrible smell of a SHB infested tree.

Mims trap out part 5_0001.wmv

Not everything works out the way we wish, but that's how we learn right? :-D

I hope ya'll enjoyed the series! I'll have to try the cage technique again.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
Hey, you could always use the box to add about three hundred bats from your buddy's carport. Not that I actually did that.

...JP  ;)

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »
This approach for a TO to get the queen looks interesting;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=141903879180396&set=pu.122105784493539&type=1&theater

Comments?
I'm  Preston

anything