Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package bee delima  (Read 6326 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Package bee delima
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:52:45 am »
Hey all!

I'm getting ready to set up my first hive and I've run into a problem.... MONEY!!!

I have enough for my equipment, but I have to wait a couple weeks to buy my 3#'s of bees and queen.  Here's the issue:  only apiary in my area that's selling package bees needs payment in advanced and I need to pick them up by April 14th.  That wont work for my paycheck.  So here's my question, are there places that do mail order bees that ship later?  Like in May?  Will they ship to Washington state?  What kind of luck have people had buying via mail?  I'm just afraid that my bees will show up at my mailbox dead.

Thanks for all your help!

<><  Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Re: Package bee delima
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:09:43 am »
I recieved 2 packages (3lb) on May 1st last year and they built up very quickly (actually, one superceded right away but it eventually got on track). I harvested 40 lbs of honey from the 1st colony and it wintered nicely as did the other. Both are building up quickly now.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:09 am »
Did you get your packages via mail order?  I found a place in Georgia that ships around the 1st of May, but thats like a thousand miles away to Washington state.

<><  Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:39 am »
Look up Cedar Glen apiary.  It is in Standwood.  He is getting his shipment of bees out of Olivarez Bees from California in the 3rd week of April.  I believe a Deposit will hold the bees.  I know that Standwood is a few hours from Buckley but it might be worth it.  I'm getting 3 packages through Mike.

It's: Michael Cook, Cedar Glen Bees, 15507 72nd Dr. NW, Standwood, WA 98292.
       (360) 652-1453  or cedarglenbees(at)att.net  Put the proper @ sign in when you e-mail.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:21:33 am »
Yeah, that's quite the drive from Buckley.  I sent him a email anyway.  I would really like to start my hive this year but I'm getting nervous.  I wish I didn't wait so long to figure this all out.  lol  I hope I didn't miss the deadline.  Worst case senario, I'll have to order from that company in Georgia and have them mailed to me.  Anybody have any experience with mail order bees, good or bad?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:45:59 am »
Back in the days you could buy bees through the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs having them sent through the mail was standard practice.  Now days it seems that many live bee suppliers refuse to ship through the mail--says alot about the deterioration of the mail service.  Still getting the bees through the mail is possible.  Usually the post office will call you and let you know that the bees are in a please come and get them, hurry, please.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45:50 am »
I did get my bees via mail (the histrionics at our little post office are worth a post of it's own - like, what's the big deal?) and they did actually come from Georgia, Rossman's I believe. I won't buy from them again; one of my hives superceded immediately and I have heard that a lot of people are having this problem with some of the southern dealers, no doubt chemical related.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:31 pm »
Man, Zoot, you just broke my heart.  lol.  That's who I was going to order from.  Now I'm really worried.  I'm already working 70 hours a week to save for this hobby.  If only my boss would give me an advance...  :-)  I don't think I'll make it before the april 15th deadline.  I might just have to wait until next year.   :'(

<><  Sean Kelly

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 02:29:03 pm »
Hey, don't take my word for it - give it a go. My initial supercedure was, ironically, a good thing in that it gave me immediate experience in emergency requeening, managing what became a late developing, weak hive, etc. All invaluable experiences that I was never faced with when I kept bees years ago. Like MB says: "it all works if you let it". (always wanted to re-quote that).

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 05:24:36 pm »
Hey, don't take my word for it - give it a go. My initial supercedure was, ironically, a good thing in that it gave me immediate experience in emergency requeening, managing what became a late developing, weak hive, etc. All invaluable experiences that I was never faced with when I kept bees years ago. Like MB says: "it all works if you let it". (always wanted to re-quote that).

Yeah Zoot, I can't give up that easily.  If I have to mail order from Rossman, then I will.  I just spent the last 5 hours finishing my bee yard and that got my spirits back up.  Posted a pic of my yard in the "Rapid bee yard growth" forum.

Sean

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:36 pm »
how about picking up some swarms?  you can put your name out there.  i have a friend with berry farms and she's going to call me if her pollination bees swarm.  the bee guy doesn't want to have to come out and catch them up.  you might try contacting some berry farms or orchards and see if they'll call you for swarms.  you can put your name on the list here.  you don't have to get into the whole wall cutting thing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 12:42:35 am »
how about picking up some swarms?  you can put your name out there.  i have a friend with berry farms and she's going to call me if her pollination bees swarm.  the bee guy doesn't want to have to come out and catch them up.  you might try contacting some berry farms or orchards and see if they'll call you for swarms.  you can put your name on the list here.  you don't have to get into the whole wall cutting thing.

How difficult is it to capture a swarm and put it in a hive?  Sounds fun and I really like the price.  But unless there was a swarm on my day off, I wouldn't be able to go get it.  I was actually going to post another topic on this, but I've also thought about trying to bee-line and find a wild hive to steal.  Anyone have any success with that?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Sean Kelly

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 01:04:10 am »
I ordered a package of bees from Rossman apiaries that was mailed via US Postal Service to my local post office.  Everything went smoothly.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 01:09:16 am »
I ordered a package of bees from Rossman apiaries that was mailed via US Postal Service to my local post office.  Everything went smoothly.

Rossman told me that since I live on the other side of the country that they have to ship overnite via UPS.  I used to drive semi for FedEx and I know how we used to handle the mail (I wont ever ship with FedEx again).  I'm pretty sure UPS is no different.  Makes me a little nervous.  Poor girls getting drop-kicked into the back of a semi.  lol  But that's good to know.  I'm hoping I can work something out with Trees 'n Bees here in Auburn to hold me a spot.  If not, Rossman is my next bet.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 01:19:31 am »
would you be willing to drive down to portland?  the place that gets my bees gets two orders.  one in early april and one late april.  i don't know how late and i don't know if they would require payment now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 03:43:54 am »
I go down to Portland about once a month and we're due to go again.  Are you required to get them on a weekend?  My days off are Monday-Tuesday.  Makes things a little difficult when the bee farms around here require you get them only on a weekend.  Mail order just might be my best bet.  I hate to have to take a day of work off and not get paid, to drive all the way to Oregon to get some bees.  lol

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  Good idea though.  What's the name of the apiary you go to?

Thanks again!

Sean Kelly

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 11:14:36 am »
you'd need to call them.  the bees come in during the week and you have to come get them when they show up.  here is the web site.

http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/

i know that they put the orders in early, so it may already be to late to order, but you can give it a try.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 02:32:24 pm »
Looks like I'm set guys!  I will be getting my package from Trees 'n Bees after all!!!  Carolyn there reserved a space for me as long as I pay by April 7th which will not be a problem!  I'm very excited!!!  WHOO HOO!!!!  Sucks though, cause I'm buying the bees instead of the bee suit.  I've got the Alexander bee vale and gloves, so I'll just have to double up clothes until I can afford the suit.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:55 pm »
don't worry about the suit.  lots of us don't use them. when i needed extra i just threw on coveralls. you can pick up coveralls at goodwill.  i have never needed them at home.  i'm sure they are nice to have, but on my list of things that are important, they are way at the bottom.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:14 pm »
The bees probably won't be that test early on. They will be busy comb building and foraging. You'll need more protection when the hive has a lot of brood and stores.Great to here you found a package!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:15 pm »
With all the package dealers in Northern California why would you be looking to ship from Georgia?  Am I missing something?

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 01:19:41 am »
With all the package dealers in Northern California why would you be looking to ship from Georgia?  Am I missing something?
I was trying to find one that I could by from in May.  Rossman was the only one I could find.  Everyone else needs payment NOW and will ship in the middle of April.  I'm broke right now until April 14th (catching up on bills), but thankfully I was able to make it work to pick up bees locally.

Sean

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 02:09:29 am »
Im happy that your gonna get some bees at lest you wont need to drive to far to get them I have been looking aroud hear in north arkansas for some places but the only one I can find is jester bee and I think all thay deal with is Russian bees I know thay have mite resistant/hygenic Queens: lol 
 Minnesota Hygenic crossed with SMR/VSH
Minnesota Hygenic Itallian   Russians     Russian crossed with SMR/VSH  What ever all that is lol geee. But have fun with your bees I know I will when I get mine but my mom wont lol she cant get stung by one or she is probley going to the er room so i told her ill buy her a bee suit she said I much reather have the honey bees then the wasp. If it will stop raining ill go buy the supers this week but I got to find a place to put them lol. :-D

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 02:58:56 am »
   Sean, 

I started almost two years ago with a free hive removed from a house that was going to be destroyed and the owners didn't want to kill them.  One of the local beeks called me and asked if I wanted them.  I said yeah but my equipment was on order.  I was told no problem I would pay back the equipment later.  So I got them and they are very resistant and this year over populated. 

beginner, 

Others I know of here in Arkansas get theirs from Kelley Bees Inc. (Italians) in Kentucky.  But there is at least one beekeeper I know of, around Damascus, who is getting at least one breeder queen and will have queens for sale.  I don't know if bees or nucs will be available for sale.  Your best bet is join a local association and get your name out there for swarm or someone may have a removal that you can help with for experience.  Who knows, they may reward you with a gift of bees from that hive removal. 

The point is were there's a will there is a way. 

Anyway we started swarm season last Wednesday with a swarm at our school campus.  My kids told me they saw it and wanted to go check it out immediately.  They were not allowed to, even though they tried to explain the bees were not a threat and normally quite tame during a swarm. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:10 pm »
Hey we are not to far away then im in mountain view just north of you. Ed Levi the state bee dude lol just lives 8 miles from me so im gonna try and call him but im not a good phone person at all  :( maybe my mom will do it lol she is a grate phone person lol you can email me at carson946@yahoo.com if you want to ;) ;) :-D lol. I do have the walter t Kelley Catalog. I dont know if this town has a beekeeping thing or not I dont think we do but never know. Thanks for the help

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 02:54:50 pm »
Hey everyone!

It's here!!!  My hive and all my equipment came UPS yesterday.  Finished painting it last night and it's ready to go.  Paid for my bees and will pick them up on the 14th.  Man, I'm so excited and nervous!

Should I keep my new hive inside the house until I'm ready to install the bees or would it be okay to put it up in the bee yard 10 days before the bees arive?  I'm nervous that our human smells will get in the hive if I keep it in the house and make the bees mad, yet I'm also afraid that keeping the hive outside will let other bugs or mice move in before the bees do.  Thoughts?

Couldn't afford a bee suit quite yet.  I just have the Alexander vale and gloves that the kit came with.  But I did buy yesterday one of those disposable Tyvek coveralls.  I've heard that those work well for a few trips to the yard, but that should hold me over until I get paid again and can buy a real suit and another hive body.  Anybody have any good or bad experiences with those Tyvek suits?

I'm really excited!  My wife will be taking pics when I install my bees, I'll post them as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone!

Sean

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 03:10:38 pm »
I kept my equipment outside for a few days before bees were obtained. I also use overalls I got off ebay, instead of a full bee suit. As a hoibbyist, if the bees are very aggressive, just walk away and come back another day is all. I use a veil and smoker, and a long sleeve dress shirt in white. I add gloves for honey removal. Oh yea, take off rings if you dont wear gloves in case you get stung. I have found less is more w/ equipment. I wait until I know I need it now. I have put more resources into equipment and bees instaed of a suit.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline GerryL

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 06:52:40 pm »
Sean:
Glad your getting your Bees. You should read, "New Package Fun" posted by AlLan J. on first page of the Forum, for a few laughs and pointers!!!!!

Best of luck!
Gerry L