Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: XL Can Opener Needed  (Read 4708 times)

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
XL Can Opener Needed
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:22:32 am »
I got a call today from a guy that came across a "nasty AFB colony" while helping his uncle clear an area behind a storage shed to prepare his property to put on the real estate market.

I had other errands to take care of, so I wasn't able to get there until right at dusk. So the images are not the best, but should give the basic idea. There's a drum full of bees in a fairly small space between a storage building, a tree, another storage shed and a chain link fence. The guy was right, they are a bit on the nasty side. His uncle got nailed in the forehead from around 20 feet away when we walked out into the alley for him to show me where they were located.

My first thought, to load the whole drum in the back of the truck and haul it off, was quickly discarded when I saw the circumstances and gave the drum a nudge to check the weight. IT'S HEAVY!!
They claim it's been there over a year, so there's likely a good deal of honey and no telling what else weighing down the drum. The images may make it look smaller than it is, but it's a full 55 gal drum . . . which if my math is correct, would weigh over 400 lbs if it were full of water.

So tossing it over the fence into the back of the truck may take a little modification first. One of the biggest challenges is the tight quarters to be working in with these aggressive gals. The 4' fence is buried into the concrete curb, so cutting and moving the fence is an option they would like to avoid.

I thought about maybe getting some sort of hoist to lift the drum over the fence, but when I felt the weight, I decided that would not be my first choice. Mainly because I'll be working this job solo and I'm not sure of the integrity of the rusty old drum. It may collapse under the weight if it's not strong enough to support the couple hundred pound contents.

Obviously I don't really want the comb to break apart and become a cluster of bee & honey soup inside. . . . So, I'm thinking of maybe cutting a window or two in the side of the drum to remove the comb in sections. However, cutting a window in the side of the steel drum is going to be challenging as well.

I'm not sure of the gauge, but I'm pretty sure tin snips won't cut it very well. A power saw with a carbide tipped saw blade would do the trick but will of course get pretty hot and sling more sparks and slag than may be acceptable.

So what other methods of cutting into the drum would make sense in this situation?

I know that DeWalt makes a couple different Swivel Head Shear, but I've never used one, so I'm not sure how heavy duty they are.

Or what other options come to mind, under these circumstances?

Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: XL Can Opener Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:28 am »
The last pic looks like the lid will lift off. If so, use something like a piece of electric fence wire, slide it under the lid and cut the comb loose.  Remove the lid. The comb will stay attached to the sides.

If not, then you need this, then do as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-272018-Popular-Deheader-Plastic/dp/B000Z5E6DC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SKV858DCBK63W509EN2
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:47 am »
Flip it over first, then take the barrel off of the lid.  The attachments at the top will be the strongest and the sides the weakest.  Or do Idee's thing and cut the top loose and then cut them out.  If the lid is welded on, you may have to cut the barrel up... but I agree with idee, I don't think it is.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:02:13 am »
"nasty AFB colony"   did you mean AHB

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:10 pm »
Why go to all that work to try to save Africanized bees in October?

Don

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »
For the honey and the money. Simple, Mr. Semple.   :jawdrop:  :lau:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »
Thanks for the input guys,

I just got a call from the customer to let me know that, since I have to go out of town today and will not be able to get to his job until this weekend, he has called in another beek that gave him a price of $100.

I wished him luck and told him to call me if something changes.

Thanks again for the input, I may be needing it after all. I have a feeling when the other guy gets there and sees what he's in for, his price will likely go up and he may or may not have it done by the time I get back.

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »
"nasty AFB colony"   did you mean AHB

Yes, typo ... sorry.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »
Strap it to a hand or lugage trolley-truck, use duct tape to seal in the bees and roll it out to a safe Place to work on it

E  :-P

anything