Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first swarm call of 2016  (Read 3850 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
first swarm call of 2016
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:51:45 pm »
Well just got call from a job from last fall that was to late in season to remove. They have a swarm on a bush next to AC unit  also. They going to call me in morning to see if they are still there.

John
The season is starting. Yep eee

I still have to do the removal from soffet about 15 feet up.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: first swarm call of 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 12:17:54 pm »
John,
Glad to hear it is starting.
I was watching my hives yesterday at noon and I did not see a single drone around any of the hives. I also have not had any calls yet.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:59 pm »
Quite a surprise to encounter this in northern Ohio in April.

This, boys and girls is why you don't feed established hives in the spring.

The former owner of these bees was feeding the hive. And may not have had hardware ready to house them, thus called me. Common mistake, and I may be back to donate a frame of eggs if their new queen doesn't mate out well. (I hope I explained my concerns about their new queen having a tough time finding air-tango partners clearly enough. At least they now know feeding is only for new packages and splits and other intentional stimulus)

There are NO local mature drones here yet. The only chance the new queen has is to meet-up with some package drones for some "afternoon delight". Otherwise, they'll be in need of a good queen soon.

That was just about 30 seconds pre-shake. I was glad I tossed two mediums in to make the call. (plus the 3rd for a "funnel") With about 16 frames of drawn comb, they'll be off to the races next week. Rain next 2 days, so I'll slip them a pollen patty in the morning so queenie can get busy.

:cool:
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:04:48 am »
thats a nice swarm....have only had 2 calls for shakes this spring and both have been tiny...thank god the traps are working well ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
Good looking swarm. Good thing this is a primary swarm.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
It's no wonder it was such a low-hanging swarm. I don't think this lady could get much if any altitude.

They acted queen right, yet I wanted to check since homeowner commented that the swarm settled on one bush, then moved to another. Just got lucky on 2nd frame, found eggs, then spotted her.

"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 11:56:20 pm »
Well, just had what has to be the last swarm call of the season in Northern Ohio.

A "pancake" swarm. Queenie must have gotten tired and landed in the grass. So there was a 2ft diameter shallow mound of bees in the grass. Might be 4 or 5 lbs of bees. It is fully 6 weeks past swarm season and the frantic homeowner told me no one wanted to even look at them (yep, it's full on wasp season here).

Might be a challenge to winter these ladies, however, they marched right into 2 mediums of drawn (and very recently extracted) comb. I'll slip them a full super if they need it. However goldenrod has started. I can smell it.

Been a trap-out year for me. Just a few swarms. Trapouts are good though.

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 04:58:49 pm »
Believe it or not, that pancake swarm wasn't the last. I got called a week later (Sept 2) for a swarm that took-up residence in the base of a tree. Entrance right at ground level.

A hole drilled through a foot or so above and some smoke followed by honey bandit convinced them to take a 12 inch walk into the waiting hive.

I'll merge these with one of my weak trap-outs. Goldenrod is peaking now and they'd have no chance in an Ohio winter.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:22:13 pm »
Great stories, your last two catches.    I hope they make it through the winter.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 10:43:12 pm »
I thought my swarm that took up residence in one of my empty nuc boxes was a late one(middle of Aug.).  You definitey got me beat.  Hope they make it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:11:19 pm »
A few years ago I caught  a late swarm that was too small for a 5 frame nuc. I moved it into my observation hive. They could barely cover 2 frames. By December 22, they were smaller than a baseball. That week the queen started laying. By March they completely covered the 2 deep frames and had a large ball of bees out side of the hive. With only those 2 frames with 6 empty frames above them they swarmed.
That was the smallest wintered over hive that I have ever seen.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything