Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Proper frame position  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
Proper frame position
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »
I just watched an old video of Dee Lusby inspecting hives. She referred to the "Y" in the bottom on the cell and to use it to determine which way the frame goes back in the hive during an inspection. Can someone tell me more about this?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Proper frame position
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 06:36:20 am »
I will have to look at a several sections of natural drawn combs to verify if if they are always with the y in the up direction. It would be helpful if it is.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:10:59 am »
mark
Look up the "housel positioning".
gww

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »
mark
Look up the "housel positioning".
gww
Thank you for the info.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 11:27:51 pm »
I just checked my observation hive. It has all natural drawn comb.  At first all I saw were upright "Ys" then we looked at the bottom of some new drawn comb and saw peace signs (upside down "Ys").
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:01 am »
I just checked my observation hive. It has all natural drawn comb.  At first all I saw were upright "Ys" then we looked at the bottom of some new drawn comb and saw peace signs (upside down "Ys").
Jim
I did some more reading last night on the subject. I think in the long run it really doesn't matter. If you can position the frames correctly great. But if you don't get it perfect the bees will still be ok. As they always are..... Thanks