Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Past the hatching time for chicks  (Read 2479 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Past the hatching time for chicks
« on: August 17, 2016, 09:06:54 am »
I know the rule of thumb for chicks to hatch from under a broody hen is 21 days. I've read about hens leaving the nest for hours, sometimes all day and they'd still hatch. I read someone said it was 12 degrees and their eggs was very cold, but they still hatched.

Another thing of interest I read was to do with the hatch being prolong because of absence from the nest. We know that a broody hen will "take care of her business" but these weren't the case. Folks seem to think that if the hen has been off the nest for a total of X number of hours then you can add X number of hours to the hatch date.

That being said, this is day 27 and the eggs don't stink so I'm wondering if all is well. I haven't candled them. Has anyone had this many days pass and they still hatched? Yes, they are fertile. Yes, I put them under her all at once on the same day.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Past the hatching time for chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:33:43 am »
I usually give the broody hen some golf balls and hatch the eggs in the incubator.  The instincts to be a good mother seem to have been bred out of most of them.  Whenever a broody hen hides and manages to raise a clutch of chicks, I let her and keep her around as long as I can, but most just waste the eggs.  Still they provide better care of chicks than a heat lamp... so I hatch them for them and let them raise them.  They do look a bit frazzled when you give 30 or 40 chicks to one hen though...

As far as time, if the temperature is low it can take a bit longer.  But if they haven't emerged by 24 days, I don't think they will.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 11:53:51 am »
Most of mine are hatching on the 20th day and some on the 21st day.  By the 22nd/23rd days, They are not going to hatch and I throw them away.  I will give them a little shake.  If you hear liquid, it is bad.  If you hear a peep (which you will if you shake and they are good) I wait a bit more.  I had one sit for twenty days and none hatched and I put more under her and 21 days later they hatched.  The chicken sat over 40 something days. 

Unless you have an auto turning incubator it is a lot of work turning the eggs 3 times a day.

I have had chickens make mistakes and end up on the wrong eggs and it only went 100% bad one time.  I do find that my hatch rate is only about 50% due to verious reasons.  I do my eggs right where all the other chickens lay and so sometimes they break one fighting over the nest and I have to check every day and take the new eggs out of the nest so I do mark my eggs for babies pretty well so I can tell the differrance.

I would put more eggs under the chicken if I wanted babies.  When I incubated I only had about a 50 percent hatch rate also, so I am no expert and can only give my experiances.
Good luck
gww

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:49:01 pm »
We used golf balls to make sure she was going to take. I'm almost convinced that they aren't going to hatch, especially after this long of a period. I haven't thought of a little shake. I'll tell that to my wife, in case it breaks..,
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:46:39 pm »
> this is day 27

I would give up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:14:16 am »
Update - No go. It seems that 3 of the 10 eggs went missing, 6 weren't fertilized, and one was a bloody soup. They "should" have been fertile.

anything