Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First check since winter  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
First check since winter
« on: August 27, 2016, 06:53:49 am »
Hi everyone,

Just did my first hive chech since winter today. Bees were working. There was lots of of capped honey, a few shb about but only a very small amount of brood. Should i be worried? You could fit yhe brood thays on 2 frames all on one i think. They have a fair bit of pollen around that they are collecting. I was expecting not much honey but a lot of bees.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First check since winter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 07:07:58 am »
Sounds like they are doing real well. It takes a while for them to build up. Your brood area is usually as big as what the bees can cove. If you still have cold weather, your bees have to bee able to keep them selves warm and keep that brood at 95 degrees, no matter how cold it gets.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:28:22 am »
Thanks Jim,
I was worried.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:15:11 am »
How are they doing now?

I don't know what it's like down there, but here in Northern NSW the bees had a box of brood in July / August.

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:32:23 am »
I checked one of my hives yesterday with the oldest queen, coming up to 5 years in a few months, doing really well coming out of winter with several frames of capped brood. This queen keeps going.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:40:27 pm »
Lance,
WOW!
That doesn't happen here in the states much any more. Commercial beeks have to replace their queens every 6 months to a year. Good Job.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lancej

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:00:59 pm »
Hi Jim,
Must admit, it was somebody else's, did a cut out from a compost bin, she has a nice yellow patch of paint on her. Also need to extract a few frame of honey, they have wintered well.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 05:52:54 am »
Yeah things are looking a lot better now, population has increased and plenty of plants in flower. I have queens ordered for december :( that was as early as I could get them.