Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Powder Dusting In Top Bar Hive?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
Powder Dusting In Top Bar Hive?
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:44:13 am »
Hello all,
How would one do the sugar dusting in the top bar hive? You can't just sprinkle all over the frames, beacuse there are no frames! Would you take each bar out and sprinkle alittle on each side, of each bar? Also, I have a screened bottom Board, so i think i could blow some powdered sugar up, and through the hive. Just what type of device would I use for this?
Thanks!
Beesilly

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Powder Dusting In Top Bar Hive?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »
>How would one do the sugar dusting in the top bar hive? You can't just sprinkle all over the frames, beacuse there are no frames!

If you monitor the mites, you may find you don't need to do any treatment.  But if you want to do sugar dusting in a TBH, I'd pull some bars off the end (probably empty ones) and put a 1/4" gap between all of the rest of them.  To do this just move the last one that's still in the hive to 1/4" from the other end and continue moving each one 1/4" from the last one you moved until there are gaps between them all.  Put powdered sugar on the top bars and brush it in between with a bee brush (or any brush).  Then put them all back together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin