Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to make a swarm  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
How to make a swarm
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
I have seen a mating flight but not a swarm. Friday I got to see one happen. Unfortunately, I caused it.

I got a call and went to a home in Wellington with a swarm on a wax myrtle. Nice medium sized swarm. Now unlike JP I will admit I am running short on equipment. So I got a shoebox from the owner. Sprinkle some lemongrass oil in the box. The first string run put 90% of the bees in the box. The second one did about 9% more the remaining slowly flew into the box.

I screen the box and drove home. I went to put them in the nuc. As I emptied them into the nuc. They all flew out. There on the bottom of the nuc was the queen. I went to get her and she flew off. now I have a few thousand bees flying around in my yard.  Just thousands of bees flying in the yard. Slowly they stafrted to gather. Everytime they did I looked for the queen. I saw land once near the swarm on a leaf. I went to get her and off she flew again.

They slowly started to gather on my porterweed. The queen landed near them. I got her into a mason jar. Put some workers in there with her. Let the jar near the swarm. And the bees ignored it. So I set up a medium box and put the jar in it with some lemongrass oil. Slowly the bees started to fly into it. Once most of the bees went in. I opened the jar and put the excluder on.

I check the box today. Bees seem to be doing well.

http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=141

I also received a call from the county health department. They monitor air quality at the airport. They have a huge hive at a monitor trailer at the airport. Palm Beach International Airport.

I will deal with that on Wednesday.

I also went to Don's(fatbeeman) course on Saturday. I had a great time. I encourage everyone to go. Watch for that post later. I have a neighbor meeting to attend.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:22:40 pm by Understudy »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: How to make a swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:30:18 am »
She flew off on you twice, hahahaahahaahaahah!!! Wait, what am I saying, this happened to me today, heehee. Glad you finally got the b....eautiful thing!!!

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: How to make a swarm
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:24:55 am »
Brendhan, you and JP having the same issues, I think it is something in the air, nice story by the way.  Have the best of this great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service