Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH design - Steeper angle of wall good in avoiding attached comb?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline ineclipse

• New Bee
Hi folks...
Just wondering if there is any truth to the notion that as bees tend to not attach comb to the floor of a hive, that the steeper the angle of a TBH the more of a floor than a wall the bees think it is, and so are less like to attach comb to it.

I have read on an old thread here on the forum, the opinion that the angle of TBH walls makes absolutely no difference in how much comb the bees attach to it.
So if that's the case... what is the purpose of angling these side walls at all?

Thanks...
J

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: TBH design - Steeper angle of wall good in avoiding attached comb?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:35 am »
I think it makes no difference whatsoever.  Angled combs are easier to handle when they are soft new comb as the bottom corners don't seem to want to twist on you if you don't have it quite level and you don't bump the sides on the way out as it rapidly gets more room.  But these are minor advantages compared to having a top bar hive you can put Langstroth frames in if you like...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline macbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »
So If I had a 4' ttbh to fit langs would a warre stlye quilt with cloth under with roof of course work Michael?Thanks! :? macbee
macbee

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:47:24 pm »
I'm with Michael,  I don't think the slope of the sides makes any difference when it comes to comb attachment.   The only hive that I ever had that didn't attach comb was the barrel top bar hive, and I attribute it to the plastic and not the shape.   I also notice less brace comb in polystyrene hives than in wood.  Brace comb to the hive body that is, no between frames.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline macbee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:08:33 pm »
Barrel tbh? was this a 50 gal or so barrel? if so I have a bunch of some bl :?ack barrels about 24" accross.That comb looks great!Would you use a frame to stiffen the barrel sides,probably full 1-1/2" bars to span?Great idea! macbee :?
macbee

Offline ineclipse

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »
Thanks Michael & Robo. That's very interesting.
I was very much under the impression that if I put straight walls on a TBH, that brace comb would be attached to said walls, making it near impossible to inspect. Not true?

I would also like to thank Michael VERY MUCH for the very excellent page at your website on bee feeding. Extremely helpful!! Thanks.

J

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 12:48:33 am »
They always make a small amount of attachments to the wall, sloped or not.  You always should check and cut them loose before removing the comb to prevent problems.  They usually don't rebuild them after you cut them, especially if you scrape the wall where the attachment is.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin