Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened Bottom Board Closer-upper thing!?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Davzbeez

• New Bee
Screened Bottom Board Closer-upper thing!?
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:03:08 pm »
I built my own SBB from plans on another site and I need to find some corrugated plastic sheeting to put in the slot to close it up when it is too cold out.  You know the kind of stuff you could make a garage sale sign from.  I found some at Office ___,  but it was $20 a pop.  Any ideas for a cheaper source?
Deformis Sed Suspendium

Ask Gandalf!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:20:17 pm »
Go to your local sign shop and ask for coroplast.  You should be able to buy a 4x8 sheet for less than that.

Plan ahead next election day and help "clean up" the signs the day after :wink:

Seems like the furniture stores around here are starting to flood the major intersections with coroplast signs for their yearly "going out of business" sales.  Keep your eyes open,  I'm sure you can pick up some signs.

BTW, you can mention beesource here  :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:20:29 pm »
Quote from: Robo

Plan ahead next election day and help "clean up" the signs the day after :wink:

exactly, my kind of shopping, also some gas stations and store use these for advertising and throw them away after a few weeks, just ask if they will save them for you , some just might....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:28:49 pm »
also some gas stations and store use these for advertising and throw them away after a few weeks, just ask if they will save them for you , some just might....

Good point,  those beer and soda ones can be pretty big.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:14:40 am »
I've also made them out of waxed cardboard produce boxes from the grocery store.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 08:15:14 am »
If you are into building things,  some 1/4 " exterior plywood painted white will also do the trick if you want to have a mighty mite countin' board and bottom closure. Doesn't really have to be exterior if U paint it well since the board should be protected.  Some cut off or drop pieces of formica from the remodlers or cabinet makers glued to a piece of ply will also work.

I dunno where U live but where I live, twice per week, people put all manner of " stuff " on the road/street for trash pick-up. I do some shopping before the trash trucks and usually find some very useful " stuff ". In fact a RICH person could live on what the po people throw away :?:   :wink:

anything