Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Happy Keeper Bottom Board  (Read 8322 times)

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
Happy Keeper Bottom Board
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:08:07 am »
Has anyone used these bottoms?  Any comments pros and or cons.   Does anyone have plans for these bottoms?

thanks,
Corinne

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Happy Keeper Bottom Board
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »
I have never heard of them, can you explain what they are?

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:53 am »
They are bottom boards with tubes not screens.  This may help to explain   http://www.beekeeping.com/happykeeper/index_us.htm

Corinne

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:50:27 am »
Isn't this the same idea as the slatted rack? It seems the only difference is the shape, tubes for slats.
I could be wrong, I just don't see a whole lot of difference.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:43 am »
There is not a flat surface for them to land on.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:41:59 pm »
This is using the same idea I have for making slatted rack except the tubing is larger to reduce the space to prevent bees from going through between the tubes and making into a bottom board at the same time. 
It's a workable idea and should result in what they claim it will, but I'd still prefer using them as a bottom board, slatted rack combo.  I do like the pollen trap idea.  I would also prefer the use of wood doweling verses the plastic pipe but that would increase the cost.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BGhoney

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 01:37:35 am »
I have a few of them, they work pretty good.  One thing I like, is you dont have to put a block under it like some do with the screened bottom board in the winter, the tubes block about 75% of the air flow and allow more stuff to fall past.

I believe they are out of buisness now, thats what I was told over a ruhl bee supply in portland.

I made some of my own with 1 inch grey pvc, cost about 4 bucks each.  Ruhl has some in stock, they are about $ 39 each.. ouch

The almost clear tubes that the happy beekeeper used seemed to flex a but to much and allow bees to squeeze past.  The Grey dosn't allow that to happen.  The 5 hives I had on them last year did fine. :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:38:38 am »
Has anyone used these bottoms?  Any comments pros and or cons.   Does anyone have plans for these bottoms?

thanks,
Corinne

Never used them.  I guess before you can buy into them you have to believe that the natural fall off rate is significant enough.  I'm not convinced it is,  so to me these provide no more benefit than a slatted rack
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline jimmytreacy

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:02:18 pm »
I just came across the article about these bottom boards. We are attempting help our bees without chemicals or medications and this seems like a good idea to reduce varroa mites. The round tubes seem to be a better solution that slatted bottom boards with screens. In addition, the original experiments indicate that they provide better ventilation of the hive without the need to close the screened bottom board in winter. The only companies now selling these boards seem to be in Belgium and the UK and they do not make them to fit 8 frame equipment. Is anyone still using these boards? How well do they work? How difficult would it be to modify a screened bottom board with 1" PVC pipe instead of screen?

anything