Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New and consumed  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
New and consumed
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »
Hi everybody,

I am new to the forum and even newer to beekeeping as I don't have any bees yet. I posted a question about hive types in the equipment section and received some excellent advice, but wanted to say hello to everybody here.

Even though I have no bees, nor have I ever been to a class/meeting or what have you, I find I have become consumed by the subject. Because of my work schedule, I've never been able to get to any meetings or classes and such. Perhaps it's foolish, but I am likely going to order a couple 3lb packages of bees and get started next spring. I don't want to wait a whole "nother" (-: year!   

I'm 47, and would like for this to eventually be an avenue for some supplemental income if that is a possibility. I'm a professional woodwind doubler, and play in the pit for the national Broadway show tours that come through Pittsburgh and Cleveland (in fact, I'm in the pit right now playing Motown the Musical in Cleveland).  But I'm having a hernia type issue in my throat from the back pressure of blowing the horns, and my playing career might not last as long as I was counting on. Perhaps it's also foolish to think I can eventually make much money from beekeeping, but it seems to be loudly beckoning me. I am devouring all the books, magazines, websites, and videos.

Maybe I'll end up being amongst those that quit after trying for a year, maybe not. But I plan on giving it a go. Per the advice I received here and from the Practical Beekeeping website (BushFarm?), I'm going to go with all 8 frame mediums for ease of lifting and interchangeability of frames and such. I don't have the Rose Hive Method book, but this seems to fit into that style of management.

A couple questions:

1. We are planning on downsizing and moving to a smaller abode. If I have my two hives on our current property and we move, how far must the hives be moved to prevent the bees from returning to the old location?

2. I've never seen any black bears on my property, but I'm looking at the possibility of eventually starting an apiary on a friend's farm nearby. Any (Western) PA beeks ever have trouble with bears or see it as a necessity to have an electric fence?

Thanks everybody, sorry for being so long winded!

Dan

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: New and consumed
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:48:20 pm »
Welcome, sorry to hear about your ailments. Honey bees are fascinating creatures, that's why they got your interest. There's a lot of differing opinions about how far to move them and what to do. First off, how far are you moving them?

Some of the other beaks will have to address the bear issue. This is a greetings thread. If you have questions the main posting thread will be the best place to go. A lot of folks don't visit this thread. This is a great website. All kinds of experience in all kinds of things.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:36:44 pm »
Not sure how far because we haven't even put our house up for sale yet. But we want to stay in the same school system so won't be moving that far away.  It could be anywhere from 1-20 miles. Just trying to think ahead whether to keep my beginning hives on my current property or try to get my apiary started early on my friend's farm.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
I move bees around all the time and don't give it much worry anymore over losing a handful of bees when they need to be moved.   And welcome to the forum. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:31 am »
Welcome to the forum and your new addiction!

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:45:54 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:27 am »
>1. We are planning on downsizing and moving to a smaller abode. If I have my two hives on our current property and we move, how far must the hives be moved to prevent the bees from returning to the old location?

2 miles is a good bet.  If you only move 1 mile, try to find a place 2 miles or more away to put them for a few weeks first.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
Thanks everybody! And Michael,  thanks also for answering my email question about the top entrance and adding boxes.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »
most questions are better answered with and by location specific info

modify your profile so we know where to mail the info
jay

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Dan.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin