Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from South Lake County Florida  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Florida Cracker

• New Bee
Howdy from South Lake County Florida
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:03:30 pm »
My name is Andrew. I live west of Orlando, Florida in the Clermont area. I am ready to start beekeeping.  The main reason I started to think about becoming a beekeeper was to help my garden.  For my 2009 spring, summer and fall garden, I saw no bees working any of the plants.

I have been reading and watching about beekeeping for months now. I am trying to get as much knowledge as I can. I believe in Central Florida we have the ability to go year round, not much wintering.  Well, except for this past winter.

I am not sure how many hives I will have yet but would like to communicate with others in the area about getting started. I am definitely going to use Top Bar Hives (TBH) and let the bees build their comb.  I have already built one full TBH and two smaller ones to capture swarms. I would love to have feral bees.

I have 5 vacant acres that I will be using as a site for a hive(s).  I will put a hive in my backyard to help my garden as well.
I told my Grandma about wanting to keep bees and she told me that her father (my Great Grandfather) kept bees and was the local contact for people to call to collect swarms etc.  I never knew this about him.  It is interesting that I am interested in bees as well.  It must be in the blood and strong with me.

I am gratefully that I found this forum.  I will be reading as much as I can from this site and then read some more. Hopefully I can find local beekeepers that will be willing to help.  I definitely have the bee fever.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Howdy from South Lake County Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:31 pm »
Hi Andrew, it's nice to see another Central Floridian  joining the forum! I'm about an hour or so from you I suppose and am happy to help you get started if you need. Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:58:39 am »
Andrew, welcome to our forum, great you found us.  Well isn't that just ding dang wonderful about your Great Grandfather being a great beekeeper.  Beautiful, I get it is in the genes, you will be held beneath their spell, as he no doubt was, as so many of us are. This will be a place where you can learn, ask your questions, tell your stories and tales, your experiences, you will also make some new friends.  Stick around, we love new members.  Have that most beautiful and greatest of days, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »
Welcome, it is a year long season here, do searches on Craig's list for swarms in the area, Clermont that's the mountains :-D, There is a breeder that is treatment free, just north of you, I can not remember his name I will look it up and post it
Bob

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:32 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a good place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page.

I also encourage you to get involved with a local club. Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected with other local beeks.
http://orangeblossombeekeepers.org/
http://apisenterprises.com/fsba/fsbalocal.htm

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 01:36:53 am »
Greetings Andrew,I've recently started out in Jamaica-apart from the winter season our weather condition shdnt have great difference-I blv the tropic's a gr8 place for Beeks.
Wish U all the best when you do make an official start-cool
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

anything