Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food Grade Buckets  (Read 12936 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Food Grade Buckets
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 01:46:05 pm »
  Just make sure the local TSC has the food grade like mine has. Triangle with #2 inside, HDPE, white bucket.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 01:55:18 pm »
Are the buckets 2.99 there like the website?   And how much are the lids?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 02:13:04 pm »
  Buckets at the store are $2.99. Lids are $1.99 but don't have a rubber gasket in them.
They still seem air tight and water will not run out when turned upside down.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:11:08 pm by tefer2 »

Offline dpotter9

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 05:30:04 pm »
I have used Baking soda to get the smell out of buckets, after washing them and rinsing well.

I usually use about 4 - 8 ounces of baking soda, fill the bucket with water and let sit in the sun for awhile.  Rinse and most of the smell should be gone.  If you still have a smell, then try putting some lemon juice in the water and letting it set.  Lemon juice will mask almost all bad smells ( like pickle juice ).

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
I have news for ya! Nothing will remove that pickle smell from a plastic bucket. I've try ed everything to get it out. Used a whole box of baking soda and then washed the truck with it for two years. Same smell comes back. You just have to use it for nonfood storage.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:07 am »
you mighnt as well buy a new bucket if you are going to use a whole box

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
Good job in your find.   Just one warning, I have heard that with some icing, the flavor or smell may transfer to your honey.  But it is still all good.  8-)

I was told not to feed after putting supers on?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »
for things like icing, try washing with vinegar.  it seems to cut the oil that sticks to the buckets.  it also works for smells like tomato/spaghetti sauce if you want to use the jars and the lids hold the smell.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »
I soak what I use in cold water & vinegar for 24 hrs or until the smell is gone. works great!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 04:16:13 pm »
Nope, the girl just love pickles.............. and pickle juice.....and pickle flavored whatever.... and more pickles

She should try dilly beans if she hasn't all ready.  Great way to store green beans.

As far as plastic goes I wouldn't store my honey in anything plastic.  If it takes on and gives up smells why do you think that is?  Glass, ceramic, or stainless steel would be my only choices.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04:55 pm »
I don't know about others, for me it's difficult to get away from plastic, my refrigerator is plastic, the freezers plastic, the vehicle is plastic, in the grocery store a lot of items are in plastic, everywhere I turn some form of plastic is there, glaring.

I have some stainless steel items, I can say it has a shelf life too, also save glass containers that are reusable for personal use. I thinks it's more about doing the best one can do with means to do it until it an upgrade is possible.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »
I don't know about others, for me it's difficult to get away from plastic, my refrigerator is plastic, the freezers plastic, the vehicle is plastic, in the grocery store a lot of items are in plastic, everywhere I turn some form of plastic is there, glaring.

I have some stainless steel items, I can say it has a shelf life too, also save glass containers that are reusable for personal use. I thinks it's more about doing the best one can do with means to do it until it an upgrade is possible.

YOU forgot to mention all the human body parts made of plastic today, IV ports, pacemakers, artificial this and plastic that.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline bullship

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »
We get white food grade buckets at bakery outlet stores all clean with cleaned lids and gaskets. Have to be very careful and sniff them before any honey goes near them. check for rancid,fruity or pickle oders. Got some FREE pickle buckets several years ago(triangle 2 on bottom)nice clean buckets .STILL SMELL LIKE PICKLES SEVERAL YEARS AND MANY USES LATER!!
Bullship
Bullship

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 11:26:50 pm »
I think thats the cheapest I have ever seen a new 5 gallon bucket at that price its not worth cleaning out one from a bakery and having bad tasting honey.
Guess I know what I'll be buying next time I go to TS !!!
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau