Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: High Voltage protection Question????  (Read 4040 times)

Offline StarsandBars

• Brood
High Voltage protection Question????
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »
     I have a question.  Recently, my association (I just joined) had a speaker.  He talked about the electromagnetic field of the earth and the effects on bees.  He also spoke about protecting bees from high voltage and its effects on Queens and reproduction.  He said that you should mix in aluminum dust in the paint when you paint your hive and that the hive should be grounded.  Does anyone know anything about this?  If this is a good idea....how much dust should be added per gallon of paint?  He made a lot of sense, but there was a language problem when he took questions.  He was originally from Russia, where he started beekeeping.  He now is local area and has been in the states for some time.  Sounds like he has a commercial business with his bees so I tend to want to listen to him, but you never know.  Can anyone let me know if they have heard anything about this topic?   Thanks so much.   

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: High Voltage protection Question????
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:49:48 pm »
Haven't heard about the electromagnetic field. But I do know it is not good to work the colonies when there is a lot of static electricity in the air.
I have also heard not to locate the hives under high powered electric lines.
As for using aluminum dust with paint and grounding the hives,????nothing would surprise me these days. But I'll not be grounding or using aluminum paint.
doak

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:25:16 pm »
Oh great That gave me some thing to worry about Bonneville power has a sub station about 1/3 mile away with some pretty big lines.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 05:05:32 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it.  We have some high power lines close by and I haven't seen any issues.  I don't ground anything, I don't have aluminum dust in my paint either.

Here's an article that might be of interest though:  http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2007/03/06/millions_of_bees_die_are_electromagnetic_signals_to_blame.htm
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 05:59:57 pm »
Bees generate there own elcetricity-thats why they are such good pollinators-the charge they great makes the pollen cling to them-even if they are not gathering pollen it is attracted to there bodies from electric charge-no grounding necessary- ;) RDY-B

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:01:17 pm »
...Recently, my association...had a speaker.  He talked about the electromagnetic field of the earth and the effects on bees.  He also spoke about protecting bees from high voltage and its effects on Queens and reproduction.  He said that you should mix in aluminum dust in the paint when you paint your hive and that the hive should be grounded...

Was he wearing an aluminum-foil helmet?

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:08:08 pm »
>>Was he wearing an aluminum-foil helmet?

perhaps a better question might bee was he selling "aluminum dust"  :roll:

Dave

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 06:29:34 pm »
There are many angles being promoted out there. I have had talks with some who wanted to discuss the differences in whether copper or steel wire would be best in a hive. Whether moving hives a few feet on top of a line of the earth's energy Field would be better. Whether metal tops on a telescoping cover interferes with the hives health. I find most of these ideas coming from some who take everything to the extreme so they can be different.

I like to use vegetarians as example. Why are most who they say are vegetarians, really vegetarians? If you really push the issue, most you come across, and if they are honest, a good number will acknowledge they do eat meat "occasionally". Very few are true vegetarians from the sense they do not just talk the talk, but walk the walk also. But what greater pleasure do they have, then when at a party and some asks "Have you tried the Swedish meatballs, they are fabulous!" And what happens next? The supposed vegetarian gets to comment about "Well no I have not. I'm a vegetarian". And for the next ten minutes, those within earshot are focused on the reasons why they are vegetarians. It's their ten minutes of fame.

I find the same for some beekeepers. They pick up on a few real far out ideas, and with little proof or studies to back up a single claim they make, turn it into talking points that are unique and it give them a chance to stand out from the crowd.

The only metal you should be concerned with are tinfoil hats that some seem to wear. Moving your hives onto earths energy lines, building triangles over top of your hives, or talking to the bees, all to me are for pure pleasure only.

I have some radical ideas and absolutely cringe from what the industry has done over the years. But there is a line of common sense I try not to cross over.

Since I am not commenting on anybody in particular, I hope my comments are OK to post.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 06:36:17 pm »
Good one Rdy-b!
 I was gonna ask the same thing!

your friend,
john

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »
I can't wear a battery operated watch the electricity in my body kills them. The only watch I can pack around is a wind up one.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 08:33:38 pm »
All of my hives are in a power line easement that runs through my farm.  I have not seen that my bees behave any differently than any others. 
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:39:43 pm »
I can't wear a battery operated watch the electricity in my body kills them. The only watch I can pack around is a wind up one.

Ditto, plus it has to be a pocket watch, any watch that comes in contact with my skin is soon dead.  I chalk it up to my magentic personality.

Magnetic disturbances can upset bees and pigeons as both rely on the magnetic fields, to some extent, for navigation.  If electrical storms are forecast in your area stay out of the hives for the day before, the day of, and the day after the electrical storms are forecast.  The bees will be a bit more proddy on those days.

All of my hives are in a power line easement that runs through my farm.  I have not seen that my bees behave any differently than any others. 

Power lines create a constant magnetic or electrical disturbance which is rapidly over come or adapted to by the bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 11:16:37 pm »
wow, you guys!!. I never hear of such a thing!...What else happens by generating so much electricity in you body?
It sounds like you would be perfect candidates for "Human Internal Combustion"!

your friend,
john

Offline Holycow

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 12:45:33 am »
Interesting.
It is worth noting, I used to remove colonies that had sprung up in places they should not be. This included inside functioning transmitter equipment on top of buildings, and within FEET of the inner working of VERY LARGE electrical substations. Bees seemed to do fine in these places. Honey, pollen, brood, workers and drones all there doing what they do.
  I've read that bees have been around for a very long time, through hot and cold, more and less radiation from the sun (and other sources), variance in the gaseous composition of the earths atmosphere, even those annoying catastrophic asteroid impacts. Thank goodness people finally arrived to paint their plywood hive containers with aluminum dust and make sure the hive meets local electric code. Now the bees will will finally be safe.
  If you want to keep your bee's in some type of astrologically aligned.. tungsten shielded.. Faraday Cage, be my guest.   But I wouldn't lose sleep over just keeping them in what ever kind of hive config. is known to work in your area.
My two Cents.
--Jeff

Offline Galaxy

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 10:17:10 pm »
My hives are directly underneath a 69,000 volt transmission line.  I have seen no ill effects. 

Several years ago I looked into much of the research on the claimed ill effects of electromagnetic fields because I was about to build my home about 300 feet from the 69,000 volt line.  I concluded that there is no well-designed research study that supported the ill effects of electromagnetic fields. 

If these ill-effects do exist we would have seen them long before now.  Electricity flowing through any wire or conductor produces an electromagnetic field whose strength decreases exponentially with the distance away from the source of the field.  With all the wires and appliances in our homes and work places we are all exposed to as strong or stronger EM fields (for long periods of time) than we would be while standing directly under the large transmision lines.  If you are really concerned about the effects of EM fields you should never go near a computer or it's keyboard, use an electric shaver or electric blanket, or go near an electric motor of any kind.  Remember, electric motors work by producing a strong eletromagnetic field.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:53 pm »
Galaxy...Hmmmm. Computor and keyboards.....that may explain much..... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything