Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: long distance move.  (Read 1123 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
long distance move.
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:03 am »
looks like we could be relocating to Dallas area from middle michigan.  Is it feasible to move hives that far?  i would think it will be at least a two over night drive.  I have two hives that I would like to take.

My other options would be to have my sister come get them as she lives in Va. and could do the trip in one day.

or give them to a neighbor beekeeper in trade for newer wooden wear and hopefully pulled comb?

would I need any permits or inspections to move them to tx

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: long distance move.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »
That is quite a ways but it can be done. What I would do is organize the trip where you could let them out for at least a few hours at the end of a few of those days. Seal them back up before first light if you will be leaving in the morning or after dark if you will be getting back on the road that night and precede forward.

I believe the migratory guys just use fine netting and place it over their bees until they arrive at their destination. The bees likely are much pissier I would imagine after being bottled up even with netting after a few days but they will arrive alive.

I've taken hives that I removed the day before to removals the next day and let them out while I did my removal that day. After dark I just put them on my truck along with the one I just removed.

As for permits you likely will need to check with those states you will be traveling through.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:00 pm »
technically there is a Texas intrastate permit to move hives and equipment across county lines.  I dont think you would need to worry about a trooper knowing anything about that..  They are looking for dwi, and drugs.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:09:13 am »
I have moved bees (screened boxes) from east TN to Mid OK with no problem. I just loaded them on my trailer with all the other stuff. spent one night in a motel and they did fine. I sprayed them once (2nd morning) with water and forgot about them until I arrived at my destination.