Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boots for Commercial beekeeping?  (Read 19017 times)

Offline ThePlot

• New Bee
Boots for Commercial beekeeping?
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:04:12 pm »
OK, so when i buy something I like to buy once, pay the extra money, and make sure it lasts. With that said I should buy a pair of boots for my beekeeping job.

I'm very new to the world of work boots.

6in. or 8 in. ?

Waterproofing, is it necessary? (I think not because you don't mess with bees in wet weather)

basically, what do you look for in a boot? What should I look for? Pros, Cons? I'm just looking for some info, and opinions to consider.

Thank you!

-J
Enjoy!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Boots for Commercial beekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »
Boots? That's a new one on me.
I wear crocks or tennis shoes.

It's my top half that gets hit most often.  I wear scrubs all the time and that's all that covers my lower half while I'm in a hive.
Jacket and veil for the top and platex rubber kitchen gloves if I wear gloves
That's all.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:15:49 pm »
Beekeeping is usually warm work so they should bee ventilated and able to breath, old stinky sweaty boots will drive the bees mad and make them attack  :evil:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:25 pm »
I like my crocs.  I don't mind wet feet early in the mornings.   A bee or two will crawl in and get smashed.   No worse than getting stung on the back of the knee. 

Moots

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »
I'll make this as a general boot comment.  Something to consider...

I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots that have sort of evolved into my work boots.  They are vary comfortable and I love them, they are also waterproof.  While there has been occasions that I was very glad that they were waterproof, there's a price to be paid for that...they are what I would describe as somewhere between extremely warm and hot on the feet.

Merrell Phaser Hiking Boots

Offline ThePlot

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:34:40 pm »
Thanks for your opinions. I guess I'll try some of it out.

Scrubs sound comfortable. Latex gloves sound nice and dextrous. I suppose I'll try a variety of things, before spending any/mich cash.

Thank you!
Enjoy!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »
If you're working bees commercially and going through hundreds of hives daily you may want some decent footwear. I've got bee yards that are full of brambles and saw grass and don't get mowed much during winter so winter time I wear waterproof boots. You're bound to drip honey on them and step in mud etc. so I like to be able to just hose them off and keep going with dry feet. During the summer I wear canvass slip-ons that are much cooler.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:22 pm »
crocks
to bee or not to bee

Moots

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »
Judging by this thread, apparently, they are quite popular... 

So, at the risk of offending the Beek gods that I so admire...I'm afraid I don't care for Crocs in or out of the bee yard.  :-D

But hey, that's why they make Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry Ice cream.  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:45 pm »
I found it hard to run very fast in a pair of flip flops. So, a pair of tennis shoes would be my choice.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »
Pirate copied crocks with scuff marks and sweat pants with knee stretching :-X :buttkick: :lau:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:39 pm »
been knowing Bud for a number of years ,know for a fact that old red neck don't own no shoes or boots ,crocks year round

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:40:03 pm »
He don't own many shirts either :)

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »
I found it hard to run very fast in a pair of flip flops. So, a pair of tennis shoes would be my choice.

lol .... no REALLY  lol

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

So, at the risk of offending the Beek gods that I so admire...I'm afraid I don't care for Crocs in or out of the bee yard.  :-D

.... and crocs! :)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »
Hey moot. 

Did I forget to tell you that One of my swarm tricks is to rub the old crocks on the frame bars before I hang them?  Bet that's why your traps are bare.  Gotta get some crocks!!!!

:evil: :evil:

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:41 pm »

I'm with you Moots. I would never buy them. My wife bought me a pair of Clark shoes. I never pay more than $20 for shoes when I buy them, and these are around $110. I love them. Don't know if they make boots. By the way, I wear size 14, hard to find in the stores.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:12 am »

I'm with you Moots. I would never buy them. My wife bought me a pair of Clark shoes. I never pay more than $20 for shoes when I buy them, and these are around $110. I love them. Don't know if they make boots. By the way, I wear size 14, hard to find in the stores.
Jim

Jim,
That reminds me of a good shoe story, my wife is always giving me grief about wanting to wear running shoes everywhere.  We were going on vacation and she insisted that I go shopping.  So, sometimes you have to pick your battles and I decided to go with the flow.  She picked me out some top siders, they were comfortable, so I went with it.  For some reason, I wasn't around when she checked out.  After we got home and I took them out the box and started reading the tag.  Gold Series, Deer skin insoles, 18K gold plated eyelets to reduce corrosion, etc.etc.  I started thinking....Hmmm, these seem pretty nice.  So I shout to the kitchen, "Hey baby, how much were these shows?"  She replies $180!  Not sure how I didn't pass out! haha....WOW!  I kept them...but let's just say I don't plan on buying another pair. LOL!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 03:07:56 am »
Well for us ole pour folks, I get a pair of tennis shoes around Christmas.  And I replace my everyday shoes with the pair I got the year before.  When it gets hunting season I'll take out some spray paint and then they are camo-ed.  Those are also my bees boots.  Now year before last one of the youngens got me a pair of camo rubber boots.  When the bees are pissy I have put them on but not usually.  Would still rather wear them camo tenys even when hunting.

Joe

Moots

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
Well for us ole pour folks, I get a pair of tennis shoes around Christmas.  And I replace my everyday shoes with the pair I got the year before.  When it gets hunting season I'll take out some spray paint and then they are camo-ed.  Those are also my bees boots.  Now year before last one of the youngens got me a pair of camo rubber boots.  When the bees are pissy I have put them on but not usually.  Would still rather wear them camo tenys even when hunting.

Joe

Joe,
I know what you mean...
For me, it's like running shoes and caps have a distinct life cycle and go through three defined primary phases.  It's kind of like I keep an unofficial filing system subconsciously in my head of a status ranking on each.  lol!

They start out new, I'll wear them sparingly, almost rationing them in a way.  For running shoes there only to actually run or exercise in....or to go somewhere "nice" that I can get away with wearing tennis shoes.  Eventually, they get bumped down to everyday shoes...I'll wear them for anything where I don't expect them to take a beating or get messed up.  Lastly, they become third tier and get abused freely without reservation....Cutting grassing, painting, bee yard, etc. etc.

Now of course, there are subclasses in each of the three levels.  :-D LOL!