Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught a swarm today  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Caught a swarm today
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:49:12 am »
I had a swarm of bees come through today. They were buzzing around for ages and moving from place to place until they finally decided to stop in a roof truss of a shed. I put an empty super with some part filled frames from another hive underneath, hoping they would move in but I ended up having to climb up a ladder to get them. Obviously I couldn't shake them so I had to brush them onto frames and bring them down into the box. The brushing seemed to agitate the bees a bit, is there any way I could have got around this? I eventually got most of them and hopefully got the queen!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Caught a swarm today
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:08:39 am »
A wide plastic scraper, a sheet of cardboard, even a hive tool. Sliding an edge under them and making them fall is many times better than brushing.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »
When all else fails, I just start bringing them into a box with my bare hands. Never been stung this way..... yet.

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:56 am »
Thanks guys, I'll avoid the brush in future. You're a tough man Yockey, like your work!

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:19:24 am »
I take an ordinary dustpan and brush. Some of the brushes are softer that bee brushes. But i try not to brush and just use the pan to scoop.

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:49 am »
As a newbie I had help with my first and they grabbed a frame and sort of zig zag'd up from the bottom of the swarm so they landed on the frame - that frame was put in and she grabbed another... she then let the bees figure out the queen was in the box... sure enought they started marching in in rows...  :shock: was amazing to watch...

anything