Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Grumpy Girls  (Read 3743 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Grumpy Girls
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:15:57 am »
My first two hives which I've had since July are normally fairly well behaved were both quite aggresive yesterday. It was a warm, 27 deg C day, humid and overcast in the afternoon and the girls were just bombarding me. I took more stings yesterday than ever before and my wife who came home midway through the exercise caught some very colourful language. She suggested that the weather was just against me, is she on the right track?

Offline Krustybee

• New Bee
Re: Grumpy Girls
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:53 am »
When I first started with my hives last year I was told not to lift the lid on a day that storms were forcast as the bees get angry.  I thought my mate was having a lend of me so I tried to have an inspection one stormy day and got absolutely hammered by my normally quiet bees. So I learnt the hard way to stay away when stormy weather is about.  :mrgreen:

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:24 am »
Yeah OK, that might explain it. So how far in advance of stormy weather would you avoid upsetting the girls?

They were also hitting me long after I had left the hive, I thought perhaps it was B.O. so I took a shower and then still took a sting to the head after that.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:02:25 am »
Definitely not a good idea to open during electrical storms - i've opened in some fairly average weather and it does get them a little more riled up but not to the point of being bombarded... how old are your queens? are they on a flow? sometimes it can be it's time to requeen, they may be defending their stores - try opening them again on an optimum day and see how you go

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:39:15 am »
Stick to warm sunny days.

Oh dear your in Melbourne :-D

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:15:40 am »
You guys have got to live in Melbourne first before you bag it, I've seen plenty of crappy weather in NSW & QLD. :)

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:08:23 am »
I wonder if it’s the atmospheric pressure that makes the bees grumpy. I keep snakes and they go all strange when a storm is nearing!

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:53:27 pm »
I have found the same - they get very cranky on stormy days!
VERY!

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:44 am »
You guys have got to live in Melbourne first before you bag it, I've seen plenty of crappy weather in NSW & QLD. :)

Well I grew up in Williamstown a block from the beach   ;)

Then moved to the "Sunshine Coast" and lived there for some time  :)

Then married a sydney boy and am now in country NSW  :-D

The weather as a kid didn't bother me, then Qld spoiled me and I'm now suffering here  :(
Down to -4 in winter... spring days were it's 28 and calm then 13 the next with gale force winds and hail!

Wish I'd joined earlier so I wouldn't have been nailed due to poor weather!

anything