Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: white larvae  (Read 3781 times)

Offline bikermanstu

• Brood
white larvae
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:21 am »
Hi - I am quite new to beekeeping and have recently noticed the bees in my wbc have suddenly started dragging out larvae and dumping them on the landing board. The local bluetits love it but I am worried something strange is going on ?

Anyone got any ideas.?

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: white larvae
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
Where are you located? Oh, I see, you are hopelessly lost.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:31:26 am »
do put your location in your profile  :-D  it is probably nothing.  sometimes they do that and you might not find a reason.  sometimes it's mites, etc. 
best way to get an idea is to look at your brood frames.  see what the brood, cappings, etc. look like.  take pictures so that you can take a long and close up look on your computer later....or post them so we can see what you see.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bikermanstu

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:10:37 am »
Thanks kathy.  Its been a bit too cold and wet to get into the hive for the last week but once the weather picks up I will have a good look.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:03:58 am »
White larvae on the landing board.

What you are likely seeing may be "chilled brood", which isn't surprising given the situation of nite time temperature got to low.To few bees to cover the brood.Brood needs about 97F.

I see you got a WBC (William Broughton Carr) hive.

http://www.thorne.co.uk//hives/wbc/wbc-hive-assembled?product_id=4816

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline beek1951

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »
Chilled brood, dead brood, water splashed under screened bottom boards drowned brood.
They are just cleaning up. Used to freak me out till I changed over to all solid bottom boards.
Every time it rained, they would carry out soggy dead brood, then I saw a driving rain storm
bouncing water up under my hive through the screen and a Aha moment!