Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible paralysis virus?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline ldeano

• House Bee
Possible paralysis virus?
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »
Not sure exactly what is wrong but thinking paralysis virus. The hive I cut out of the tree about a week ago has about 6-12 bees crawling around on the ground unable to fly. I know that they have a heavy infestation of SHB that I am working on getting under control but I did not see any varroa. Can paralysis virus be caused by any stressor like SHB or is it strictly related to varroa?  And is there anything that I can do to help them recover?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. In north Texas just SHB traps and honey be healthy is all I have done at this point. I am going to open the hive up tomorrow any thing I should be looking for?
PHD in "learned that the hard way" lol

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Possible paralysis virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 06:52:16 am »
Since you just did a cut out a week ago, I would not worry about 6-12 bees walking around in front of the hive.
More than likely they were damaged while in the cell during the cut out.
I also would not be inspecting this hive right after the cut out. I would give them time to recover.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:37:17 am »
Ya, they're probably pretty stressed. Maybe give some feed if you think you can get away with it without robbing setting in. Even a qt of 1/1 might give em a shot of energy.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:41:22 am »
>>6-12 bees crawling around on the ground unable to fly.
> I would not worry about 6-12 bees walking around in front of the hive.

Me neither.  A few hundred would certainly be another matter...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ldeano

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »
Thank ya'll for the advice.  I have gone out and watched the hive everyday and everyday they have a hand full of bees on the ground.  I will just continue to feed and monitor them.  Thanks again for the help everyone!
PHD in "learned that the hard way" lol