Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I want to do podcasts on Beekeeping . Interested?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline mypestguy

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • The Wildlife Pro Network
I want to do podcasts on Beekeeping . Interested?
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:19:26 am »
Hi all, I run a forum called The Wildlifepro Network. The network consist of two basic groups of members; those who deal with nuisance animals/insects and outdoors enthusiasts. Most of us one way or the other professionally make money in various areas related to wildlife and the great outdoors. Beekeepers are an example of the type of mebers welcome to join us!

Recently we did a very successful podcast entitled "Trapping Honey Bees By The Numbers" and anyone may download this podcasts and listen to it free here:

pm me for the link

During the month of September I want to do a few podcasts on actual beekeeping and hope a few of you want to host/co-host or be a guest on one of our shows. This month , Sunday evenings we are doing a series on nuisance Bat control and have two more podcasts on that topic ahead of us.

We have 52 podcasts recorded and by pm I an share the links with you yet.

I would like to here from any of you who want to participate on one of our beeekeeping podcasts to call me at 1-760-271-0415
or email me at robb@wildlifepro.net.

Robb Russell
The Wildlife Pro Network
Robb Russell Listen to my many Wildlife and Bee relatedpodcasts for free.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=16456&cmd=tc

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
Re: I want to do podcasts on Beekeeping . Interested?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »
Welcome Rob.

Cripes.  I just went to have a listen to your podcast, but apparently I have to sign up to get to it.

But in order to sign up I have to give you a buttload of information, much of it personal, much of which doesn't apply to me as a beekeeper.

Sorry, I gave up.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:45:46 pm »
Try this link that is in Robb Russels signature line:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:50:52 am »
Rob, welcome to our forum, you are up to some interesting stuff and I can bet many of our forum members would be very interested.  Keep up the good work!!!  Have a wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
Welcome to the forums neighbor, I live right up the road from ya. The link that ken posted works for me.  keep up the good work.

Offline mypestguy

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:12:38 pm »
Hi all. actually we have now done several podcasts involving beekeeping and handling swarms since I last posted this thread. We plan on doing one every 2nd Thursday of every month from here on in and looking forward to participation from all and any of you. Up until now my good friend, Robert"Bob" Evans, of Madison, NY and also a member here has been doing a variety of them and I am always looking forward to a guest who would like to take an active part in the show .

I recently proposed these podcasts to my own local and new beekeeping association (Alachua Beekeepers Club, Alachua, Florida) and our State Beekeeping Association (Florida State Beekeeping Association). I hope many of you take me up on this and join in since all of us enjoy beekeeping and as a group all of us have a lot to offer each other.

Our previous podcasts can be downloaded without logging in at talkshoe. com and simply look for The Wildlife Pro Network. For those who want to join us yes we do ask alot of questions sorry but most of them are set up for you to get refferals across North America and the cities and counties are vital if you want someone to send you a swarming job out of their area.

We do all forms of nuisance wildlife and not just bees. Plenty of help to solve your own problem skunks in your bee yard.

Robb Russell
The Wildlife Pro Network
Fort White, Florida
386-454-7474

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:14:37 pm »
Hello and Welcome Robb
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline mypestguy

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:32:23 am »
The podcasts are open to all who have a sincere interest in Beekeeping. We meet either online to listen in or use Skype or to call in live. If you are interested in participating and be part of our podcast announcement please give Robb Russell a phone call at 386-454-7474 or email at robb@wildlifepro.net

OUR Beekeeping PODCASTS are the 2nd Thursdays of each month.

8 PM EST 1-724-444-7444 Call ID 16456 or listen in at http://talkshoe.com/tc/16456/ .

Links to these podcasts will later be found in the forum here as arranged with admin, "Robo" Rob Overton. We actually do a variety of podcasts related to the control of wildlife and and dedicate one show a month to both beekeeping or catching swarms. You can find a link to our podcasts at http://recordings.talkshoe.com/rss16456.xml or follow my blog http://thewildlifepro.com for future announcements .

Note: None of these links require registering!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 07:01:47 am »
I got curious when you said you have a mix of pest control and wildlife enthusiasts... but going to the site, all I'm really seeing is the pest control side of it... is there a difference section or something for the wildlife enthusiasts? 

I also saw what is likely the most useless article on earth on your site... technically it was in Science Daily but you had it linked.  It's the one about finding a cure for CCD... Here's why I think the article is so useless:

1. Not all colonies that have been victims of CCD had nosema
2. Most colonies that get nosema never get CCD
3. They did not successfully treat/prevent CCD, only nosema.
4. Beekeepers have been successfully treating nosema for a LONG time, so even if there was a conclusive link, there's no breakthrough in "discovering" that nosema can be treated. 

It's no wonder we haven't found the cause/cure of CCD yet with "researchers" like these siphoning off the research funding for this pile of crap... I expect their next big discovery will be that bees can fly, the sky appears to be blue, and water is wet. :roll:

Offline mypestguy

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:33:30 pm »
SGT Maj-

Your right about the CCD issue and that is why that article posted had a question mark with it. I usually post articles to create discussions there as you just did here.

What you think is pest control is actually an industry is insulted by the words "pest control". The majority of our industry only uses green, mechanical, non-chemical methods in our work. We do however have those who are in both markets. I always had a hard time morally caring live animals in the back of a truck actively using chemicals though. I am not knocking the chemical guys we just specialize in the wildlife,bats,birds and predators and leave the chemical use to them.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
What you think is pest control is actually an industry is insulted by the words "pest control". The majority of our industry only uses green, mechanical, non-chemical methods in our work. We do however have those who are in both markets. I always had a hard time morally caring live animals in the back of a truck actively using chemicals though. I am not knocking the chemical guys we just specialize in the wildlife,bats,birds and predators and leave the chemical use to them.

I see what you mean, but perhaps wildlife control would be a more accurate description than wildlife enthusiasts... although I'm sure many in your profession are enthusiasts, I would also venture to guess that many are just in it to make a living.

Out of curiosity, what do you do with the wildlife like bats, birds and predators that you trap?

Offline mypestguy

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:17 am »

Out of curiosity, what do you do with the wildlife like bats, birds and predators that you trap?

First  of all as a business we are obligated to follow all federal,state and local laws which dictate  how we handle them. You will find these laws differ from one locality to the next, Here non-game, non-listed, nonnative, and otherwise non-protected wildlife may be trapped.Nuisance wildlife may only be released on the same property that it was trapped.  Nonnative wildlife may not be released into the environment.  The release of live captured nuisance wildlife onto public or private land is prohibited.  Transportation of nuisance wildlife can only be done for the purposes of euthanasia according to Florida Administrative Code (F.a.C.) 68A-9.010.

When it is practical and desired by our customers we try one way doors that allow the animal egress from the home and deny re-entry back into the home. This has its pros and cons though since most maternal female raccoons and squirrels will rip a home to pieces to get back to their young. When I know young are present we use a eviction application designed to scare the mother into relocating the young since she feels a predator is present and will find her young. This method works 85% of the time according to research in the industry and by academia.

Bats are endangered and may not be trapped. We use an approved method by Bat Conservation InternationalBat Conservation, Intl Here in Florida we may not interfere with bats in buildings from Apr 15-Aug 15 because of allowing the adults to leave and the young bats would die in the attics of homes.

Snakes are turned over to a herpetologist and the bees go home with me.