Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to add another Box?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
When to add another Box?
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »
Did a cut out in an old abandoned house in the woods by my house and was able to get 8 frames of brood hive with queen cells. Not sure if I got the queen but a whole lotta bees. Been leaving them alone for the most part and want to know when should I add next box on top. First box is a deep and temps are warm and in the honey flow. Peeked in last week and they are still attaching comb that I recovered. They were not doing anything with the two empty frames in there when I looked.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When to add another Box?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:53 pm »
Check 10 days after you see capped brood that was not there at the cutout. No dates make it hard to tell you anything else.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:44 pm »
Forgot to say that I been having them little over two weeks
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:54 pm »
Keep an eye out that they're not backfilling the comb with nectar if your flow is on. Once you start seeing white wax or they start building those last two frames I would slap a box on them.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything