Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sometimes things have to be explained like I am 2  (Read 10350 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Re: sometimes things have to be explained like I am 2
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 04:03:47 am »
"but i do have a hive that almost always has queen cells in it. not swarm cells"

Thats is a Russian characteristic, is it not?

"Gotta hand to you long-timers, especially when several of you are involved. The rest of us can learn lots if we're paying attention, so thanks"

Yeah what he said, keep the opinions flying.  Its amaizing what you can learn when you just sit back and listen.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:26 am »
Russian, Carnolian, and Caucasian bees all are prone to keeping queen cells/caps handy.  It is not unusual for me to see as many as many a 6 queen caps on a single side of a frame. Next time I look they may all be gone.  Building and tearing down queen caps (they ain't a cell until it has an egg) gives the bad girls work-release.

BTW, on the subject of queen cells from drone eggs:  Any queen reared from a drone cell is going to be a Drag Queen.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 12:05:34 am »
 :lau: :lau:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:39 am »
Kathy was referring to queen cells (I believe) not cups.  My Italians usually have at least a few queen cups or play cups around.  Russians though have queen cells present much of the time even if they have no intention of swarming according to to the literature I have read.  That is what I was referring too.  I am under the impression that kathy was referring to a colony that exhibits this behavior.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
i was.  real queen cells.  another interesting thing about this hive is that the cells will be the same age.  there may be only a couple, or 1/2 a dozen, but they'll be the same age.  it's a hive i'd love to have a camera in.  i don't even remember where they came from, but i think they were a swarm from a bee tree.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:34 pm »
My first and only hive did that last year, scared me that I was doing something wrong, they never swarmed, and these cells kept comming and going .   seem like the bee union was trying to send a message to the queen  LOL