Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer  (Read 15949 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:51:09 am »
I have been reading up on varroa treatments.  I really like the sound of the Oxalic Acid Vaporizer.  It really sounds like a viable way to zap em dead and at a price you cant refuse.  So where do you get the Crystals once you have a vaporizer? 

This is what Im referring to

http://de.geocities.com/vaporizerklaus/new_oxamite.htm

Also, has anybody tried the Thymomite strips?  And I have to ask if these guys are reputable because they use geocities to host there website.  Seems kind of odd for a reputable company.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:03:38 am »
You get the crystals at the hardware store in the paint section.  Its called wood bleach.   Mine here is made by Dap.  Its about 7.00 for a small tub.   This company wont do you wrong.   They are a very small operation but provide quick service.  I have the 12volt model and although I have never tried the torch heated one I can see a obvious advantage to mine.  I have added 20 ft of lamp cord to mine so no matter which way the wind is blowing I can be up wind.   As for the strips I have not tried them. 

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »
Thank You
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »

You can buy this in Canada at

Heilyser Technology Ltd. 685 Dalkeith Ave. Sidney BC, V8L 5G7 , Canada

http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/Vaporizer.htm

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:10:17 pm »
These folks should really consider spending a few hundred dollars on a nice website and some server hosting.  It would more than pay for itself.  I cant help but think of the saying penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to these kinds of things.  I'm not riping on the guys but I can only imagine how many people have not ordered there product because of the lack of a professional website.

I will make the suggestion to them when I order.  If it were not for all the info I have read on vaporizing oxalic acid for treating varroa mites and that the vaporizer is a function only product, I would not buy it.

I am still skeptical about the Thymomite strips.  If they had a professional website I drought I would think twice about it.  But if this product is anything like there website how do you know it is a sound.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:42 am »
I think he would agree with you and expand if his product was legal in the states. 

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:35:28 am »
Really?  Why is it not legal?  I spose it has not went through all the red tape.  Going through all the red tape would require going through allot of green paper which is not affordable unless your a pharmaceutical company.  But that would require a profit to be made which would be hard to do since the crystals can be purchased at a hardware store for the equivalent of $0.02 a treatment.  This would be similar to treating open wounds and infections with honey in hospitals or prescribing it to people.

I tylan was a similar situation with it being able to be bought at feed stores for pennys a treatment.  I heard the only reason they finally approved it is because AFB got resistant to other treatments.

Its to bad beekeepers have not been able to fund things like this.  If you could get honey used in medical practice it would at least double the US consumption, don't you think?  The FDA does not allow baby formula to be made over seas.  I'm sure honey would be a different story though.

Ugh, back to square one.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 07:03:45 am »
Who say it not legal  :? :?

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:41 am »

Its to bad beekeepers have not been able to fund things like this.  If you could get honey used in medical practice it would at least double the US consumption, don't you think?  The FDA does not allow baby formula to be made over seas.  I'm sure honey would be a different story though.

Ugh, back to square one.

Can you imagine the feds snooping on your production facilities if it was used in medicine?

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:25:10 am »

Ugh, back to square one.

Can you imagine the feds snooping on your production facilities if it was used in medicine?

Yes I can, but I don't want to.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dan163

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »
bee-nuts,
I can't vouch for the European site, but I've bought from Heilyser in Canada: http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/

Didn't do it on the basis of his website, which admittedly needs work. That website cracks me up, since it is the complete opposite of Heinz, the owner.

Heinz is a member of our local club in Victoria, BC and I know him from there. He is very knowledgeable and helpful at the club. He makes incredibly perfect gear. I really like the vapourizer I got from him and I drove out to pick it up so got a tour of his beeyard and his workshop... both totally clean and organized and neat. He's like the perfect German stereotype. I hope to be reincarnated as him.

As you can tell, I like him and would be happy to buy from him any time.

I hope this message isn't against the rules about selling on the forums but I don't stand to make anything from it, so I'd guess it's OK.

- Dan 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:47 am »
Who say it not legal  :? :?

The man says its not legal to kill mites with it but it is legal to bleach your top bars.  I like mine nice and white

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:36:54 pm »
"The man says its not legal to kill mites with it but it is legal to bleach your top bars.  I like mine nice and white"

What do you use to bleach them?  Is this a way to sanitize used equipment you might buy?  It would be handy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:38 pm »
OA is not an approved treatment for mites in the US.  why?  i don't know.  wood bleach is a legal product  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »
It will probably never be approved because it too cheap.  You can pick up a lifetimes supply for what you would probably pay for one seasons dose of any other treatment. 
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
Just another plot. perpetrated by "the man" to keep the brothers down?
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 11:38:06 pm »
OA is not an approved treatment for mites in the US.  why?  i don't know.  wood bleach is a legal product  :-)

Not approved or not legal?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 09:04:36 am »
OA is not an approved treatment for mites in the US.  why?  i don't know.  wood bleach is a legal product  :-)

Not approved or not legal?

If its not a approved registered treatment and if used then you have broken the law.   My bleech the top bar statment was  sarcastic and could be used as a loophole for using oxalic acid in the hive.  If my intended use is to bleach the top bar and not killing mites I am not breaking the law.   If some mite die in my wood bleaching operation  so be it
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:43:09 pm by danno »

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 04:20:01 am »
OK, I understand. 

Obviously, if there were a real profit to be made from this treatment, patents would be made and approval would be given.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vard0

• Brood
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »