Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Silly idea or genius  (Read 3482 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Silly idea or genius
« on: December 10, 2016, 05:42:20 am »
Bare with me on this as Im new to bees, picking up my first nuc tomorrow.
Thinking I might try ideal supers (5 3/4") when they are ready and instead of buying ideal size boxes simply cutting down full depth boxes and buying ideal frames.
Will lose about 3mm (1/8") with the cut but any reason the box off cut couldn't be placed under the ideal box and full depth frames used if the need arose.
I'm sure the off cut would be handy for building base boards and lids if I decided to stick with ideal size supers.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Silly idea or genius
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:57:21 am »
I initially built deeps and shallow boxes. When I decided to go all mediums, I just used my table saw and cut the deeps to the size of a medium box and then cut the left over piece again to make the shallow boxes into medium boxes. Then I used the remaining sections to make screen top boards.
So, yes you can do it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 06:18:36 am »
Thanks sawdstmakr, I'm sure given time I will have a decided preference for one size of super but until I've got that experience going with full depth and cutting them just seemed the simplest and most cost effective solution while giving the most options.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:09:15 am »
and then cut the left over piece again to make the shallow boxes into medium boxes.
I am thinking you had to glue two pieces together and rabbit a frame rest in.  Right?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:49 am »
cut off the bottom of the box, no need to make new frame rest.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:27:02 am »
Well if you use the pieces you cut off to make other boxes there is.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
and then cut the left over piece again to make the shallow boxes into medium boxes.
I am thinking you had to glue two pieces together and rabbit a frame rest in.  Right?
No. cut it to the correct height and nail it to the bottom of the shallow. Frame rests are already on top of the shallow.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 08:55:16 pm »
Oh, OK.  So you had equal number of deeps and shallows.  What did you do with the frames?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:49:22 pm »
I put the drawn plasticell frames on my bandsaw and cut then to the same depth as the medium frames. I saw some of them during the last extraction. They are getting old so most of them have been weeded out.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 11:52:07 pm »
I put the shallow frames storage. Some of them were used when I ran out of mediums. I have since removed all shallow frames from my stock.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 08:52:29 am »
I think if you cut the bottom bar off the shallow frames they would be perfectly usable.  You would get natural cell on the bottom of the frames.  At least that is what I would try.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything