Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saturday at Dadant  (Read 1256 times)

Offline RC

• House Bee
Saturday at Dadant
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:40:25 am »
I attended a seminar at the High Springs, Fl branch Saturday and had a blast.There was a lot of good info shared and a lot of great people.One guy, I didn't catch his name, demonstrated a open hive inspection and I could not get over how docile those bees were. There were 30 or so people standing around, no protective clothes at all and only 2 kids got stung. He pulled some of the frames out and passed them around so everyone could get a good look. It was awesome.
I've been studing this hobby for 2 years now, trying to make my mind up whether to get into it or not, but I'm more obsessed with it now than ever. I went straight home and mowed a spot for hives I don't even have yet!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:06:30 pm by eivindm »

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Re: Saturday at Dadant
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »
WARNING Beekeeping is highly addictive.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:25:13 pm »
Sounds like fun!

Just a warning though...different from the previous one... :roll:

Don't assume that bees will all be that docile.  At least for the first year or two wear some kind of protection against the bees.  My bees weren't near that docile until I learned how to handle them :roll: .  Now I use very little protection and they are docile, and part of that is being able to read the bees and their attitudes from before I even pop the cover open.  All it takes is a slipped frame or box and whammo they go from mellow to murderous!!

It also depends on the particular hives as well.

Rick
Rick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:14:47 pm »
RC,
Not sure if that would of been Chappie McChesney, who is very active in several associations and a huge promoter of the National Honey Bee festivities. Florida associations put on some of the best programs and have really benefitted. I hope someone was taking pictures.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Irina

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:32:44 pm »
>>>"WARNING Beekeeping is highly addictive."<<<

With my 3 years of experience; lots of disappointments and problems; I will never give up!!!
Irina, NB

"Always learning"

anything