Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comcast switching security  (Read 4952 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Comcast switching security
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:09 am »
Not really a help question. Comcast has provided Mcafee as a security suite with internet service for some time now. They are switching to Norton.
Is Norton now better than it was ? I am quite satisfied with McAfee,too bad they can't give a choice between the two.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Comcast switching security
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »
we run norton because that's what the govt contracts.  it's fine as long as you run your scan at night :-).  updates are much faster and if you run a startup scan it seems to run ok in the background.  the full scan will slow things to a crawl, so i run that when i know it's not going to shut me down.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »
I think it has more to do with which company will provide the most $$$ to Comcast.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »
This is a service provided"free" to comcast subscribers. Hence,the cost are passed on in my service fee.Since ultimately i'm paying for it,maybe I could have the choice. i wonder if Comcast may have determined Norton is a more secure broadband security or if they just charge comcast less for the service?
If theer are any savings,i won't see it in my bill.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:30 am »
I'm not happy on the changes, so far though Mcafee is still updating and running fine - I wonder when they'll force the switch and how easy the removal of Mcafee will be? We all know how big a booger Norton can be to oust!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:28:43 am »
My email said may 12 is subscription end date. looks like the removal tool is provided.
http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/migrate/?cid=NET_33_244

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:02:42 am »
Got that Ken... NBC is awaiting to see how Comcast will strip that down too - some executives say NBC will be a web broardcast site only through Comcast Xfinity collaboration with Fancast. Well, as long as they supply a solid uninstall/install fix, then I guess we'll be lucky to have the "Included" Suite that the Feds use (which by the way is our PCs at work protection) which is soooo messed up we cannot run any updates that come up on our screens. Lordy bee... help us all.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:15 am »
BM, norton put out an update a bit back.  it was supposed to install and update the version you had already running.  it did not work.  i ended up uninstalling the old version and installing the new.  never heard a thing from norton or the govt about it, but had to do it on two computers.

thought maybe it was because the computers were running vista?  what are you using at work?

to be fair, norton seems to have fixed some of the really annoying things.  most of the time it's just there and as long as you don't run a deep scan while you are trying to use the computer, it's not bad.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:37:43 pm »
I have had virus get thru with both services. I run my own now AVG, free and it does great, I put it on a friends comp and it found all sorts of virus's and he had mcafee from CC provided. Just an FYI, also nort has its issues as well. You get what you pay for. LOL
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:36:07 pm »
Kathy:

I think my big issue is that Norton is like asbestos, and our computers are like lungs: Norton gets itself into everything and doesn't like to leave. Buzzbee found a great link that did fully uninstall Norton when Comcast offered McAfee - using Norton's uninstall feature just lead to error messages and headaches.

I'll obviously go with Norton since whether I like it or not Ill be paying for it and it is the only Anti-Virus Comcast will be hosting, but it still doesn't make me happy.

anything