Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting Started- Need everything- CA( central coast)  (Read 5458 times)

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
Getting Started- Need everything- CA( central coast)
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:07:50 pm »
Hi there,
  I'm just getting started in beekeeping and need everything. Supers, honey supers, smoker, wax foundation, bottom board, telescoping metal cover, Inner cover,  all purpose hive tool,  Veil.  I checked Dadant and their kits include alot of stuff I don't want.  I'd like good quality hives and equipment.

I'd like to get all the hive set up and ready so I can order bees in the spring.   I'm willing to drive a few hours.

Thanks,
Julie

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Getting Started- Need everything- CA( central coast)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
try sites like craigs list.  i have picked up a lot of stuff on there.  you have time, so if you start now you may find all you need and not spend much.  don't know if there is a beekeeping supply place near you, but that would give you a chance to put hands on and see what you like.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:04:36 pm »
Thanks Kathy,
  I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a month or so and haven't seen much.  The closest supply place is Dadant in Fresno and that's about 2.5 hr drive.  I think I'll try and get as much as I can on CL and my hubby and I will take a stroll to Fresno.  All I have to tell him is that theres an In-n-out burger in Fresno and he's up for the trip.
~Julie

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »
My grandma alway's said a way to a man's heart is through his stomach
 :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 03:02:49 pm »
put a wanted list up if you have not yet.  i did and had a lady call me with all her husbands old beekeeping stuff to sell.  he'd died.  the stuff was just around, and she didn't give it much thought until she saw my ad. got tons of stuff for a really good price.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
GOOD IDEA!!! Kathy.   put a wanted list up if you have not yet.  That was one I did not even think about. I have watched Craig's list to try and find a motorized extractor or other honey house equipment in my area and didn't think to put in the want add. You Rock Girl!!!

Offline jpryce

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 06:49:52 pm »
I'll put up a wanted list.  Great idea.  Do you know where in the forum to post it? Here in the Trading Post?
Thanks,
Julie

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 07:08:56 pm »
don't know about here.  ask one of the moderators about that.  i was thinking of craigslist for your wanted list.  i put my swarm and cutout ads on there and when i was looking for more equipment, i put a wanted list on there.  it's surprising what people have stashed in the barn or attic and don't think to get rid of it until they see that someone wants it.  you might also try freecycle if you have a group around you.  you can look that up with a google search.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:05:44 pm »
Check out Mann Lake Ltd.  They have a branch located in Woodland, CA.  I really like their prices and if you could drive there you could save a real bundle on shipping charges.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:13 am »
You may also want to check with your local Club to inquire about any upcoming meetings that might also involve visits by some of the suppliers you might be interrested in. They will bring the things you want with them saving you the shipping charges. Also ask if there might be a member who makes some the items you're seeking. Best of luck!

anything