Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suckers on ornamental trees  (Read 4950 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Suckers on ornamental trees
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »
I have a couple bradford pear and a couple flowering plums in the front yard. They like to throw suckers from the root stock. Did I not plant them deep enough or is there something else i need to do. I keep cutting them off,but they keep growing back or start a new one.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Suckers on ornamental trees
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:19:07 pm »
I don't know much about pears or plums, but I do know there's a sucker born every minute  :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:34:25 pm »
I don't know much about pears or plums, but I do know there's a sucker born every minute  :-D

Scott
And i'm a born again sucker,LOL ;)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:35:13 pm »
Our plums, cherries, and blueberries all have suckers.  We just cut them low with the mower to keep them down, but you could mulch or use pine straw as a weed/ sucker stopper.  I don't think it matters how deep you plant, it is where the roots grow out that the suckers come from.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:49:26 am »
These seem to come from the  joint where the rootstock may have been grafted to the top.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:05 am »
Those are normal... I think it is from the slightly stronger rootstock continually trying to bypass the graft, if you don't remove them, then you lose the graft.  I can't tell you how many ornamental pears and cherries I see that look nice for a while then somebody doesn't remove a sucker and all of a sudden one year that little weeping cherry right next to the house becomes a great big tall monster cherry!! :roll:

Some bushes normally spread through suckers, but I think that is the case for most trees.
Rick

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:35 pm »
I agree that root suckers are normal, a nusance but normal.  Most small to medium sized horticultural shrubs or "trees" will send up root suckers.  Every fruit tree I have send up rain suckers, the in orchard the sheep and goats keep them down, but in the yard I have to mow them continuously right along with the grass.  The lilacs and plums are exceptionally prolifc this way, I have patches were the root suckers have crowded out the grass and I just keep mowing.  Hazelnuts (filberts) are another one that is famous for root suckers.  If you don't keep them cut back your hazelnut tree quickly becomes a brushy thicket.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »
Brushy thicket,that is exactly what would happen without constant trimming. Thanks everyone.