Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new to bees  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
new to bees
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:42:34 pm »
I have just begun beekeeping classes at the local Cooperative Extension and look forward to getting started in this new hobby.  I currently have two colonies of bees living in the trunks of two catalpa trees behind the shed.  Watching them swarm in the spring of '06 got me interested in learning more.  Along with the increased pollination for the apples trees and raspberry bushes, I want to have "my" own honey for making mead.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: new to bees
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:00:25 am »
Welcome Paul,

Free bees, what a way to start. Now the fun starts if you plan to recover them. Use the search function of this forum, there are some good threads on trapping and cutouts.

Good luck, Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:04:19 pm »
Free bees, what a way to start.

Well, I did order bees along with all the stuff I need to get started, but I have been researching and looking into trapping the existing bees.  Time is not an issue, I have all summer. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before getting started.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:02:03 pm »
Paul, I think you decided wisely to purchase a few packages to get set up with. Getting bees out of trees is tricky, and there's never any guarantees that you'll get the queen anyway. I would leave these hives in the trees and observe them for now. You could also put out a few swarm traps with some lemongrass oil in a vial, or placed directly on the traps in your yard somewhere, during the swarming times in your area, which would be your spring through summer. You just might catch some swarms from your area or the trees to add to your apiary. Best of luck.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
Paul, welcome to our forum.  You have found a great place to help you out with any ol' question that you may want to ask.  And remember, to always ask any question, no question does not deserve a well thought out answer.  You will be amazed at what you will learn in pretty quick order.  Good, you will have the addiction of the bees soon, looks like you already are close to being an addict already, hee, hee,  :) :).  Have a wonderful great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service